Author Topic: A few pics of some of my brain tan clothes  (Read 2516 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
A few pics of some of my brain tan clothes
« on: May 22, 2013, 07:03:57 am »
Here's some of my work.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: A few pics of some of my brain tan clothes
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:33:08 am »
Nice out fit. I love mine,very warm in cold weather but not really hot in warmer weather.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 02:25:53 pm »
looks great..like to see some close-ups of the clothing!
what smokin material did you use for the hides? looks like really nice color.
I have a couple hides to smoke myself and have been waiting for just the right time. was planning on using punk.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 03:13:51 pm »
richardzane....you seem serious since you have hides done yourself.I sew up the hide in a tube and force the smoke through to get that color.I use hickory bark.You need to build up some coals fist then lay your smoking material on those coals.It all depends on the intesity of the smoke but on average it takes about an hour for each side.Punk wood is fine.A cautious note here...be careful it does'nt flame up.I keep a squirt bottle of water handy while doing this.
BowEd
Ed

Offline richardzane

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 03:55:50 pm »
talk about an embarressment..once i had a flare up once during a public demo when smoking a deer skin.
it was windy out, and in the middle of a hot sunny day.(both no-nos) I'd sewn it up in a tube like you did , even had a canvas skirt on it.
but i was using corn cobs in a metal can and that wind set the cobs ablaze under a tripod i hung the skin from. I acted fast.
well maybe too fast... simply kicked the whole dang thing over to keep from scorching the hide...now i had a grass fire :o
and in the meantime there was a crowd gathering...some seemed quite entertained. ::) "uh..could some one get a hose over here?"

when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 09:22:34 am »
Yep it happens.I once scorched a buffalo hair on hide on the bottom edge.The skirt idea is works great.I'll show a picture of a gal who wanted her brain tan dress smoked good.She had stored it in her basement[very humid and damp]and mildew had grown on it.My method did get rid of that mildew and made it a really nice garment.
BowEd
Ed

Offline richardzane

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:40:46 am »
ha! that oughta work!  :)
I know my longhouse ancestors hung hides in the longhouse
and you can bet the entire inside of the longhouse was black after a few years of cooking and winter fires.
they never looked all varnished and clean like the pristine longhouses built at tourist attractions.
likely smoke kept wood gnawing bugs at bay for awhile anyway.
An entire Tionnontate or Wendat village would move and rebuild every twenty years or so.