Author Topic: updates on a few things  (Read 2482 times)

Offline iowabow

updates on a few things
« on: May 16, 2013, 05:55:59 am »
When I was at the classic I fell on the course and just about impailed myself on an arrow. My teenage cat like reflexes took over and I twisted my body out of the way and as a result I twisted many of the muscles in my aging 50 year old leg. Over the course of the next few days I just could not bare weight on it so I was on crutches for the last week or so praying that I would not need knee surgery. Well yesterday I was 80% pain free and today I feel great! So with a bit more exercise I think I will be back out in the yard shootin arrows.

On another note we are keeping bees. This has turned out to be a lot safer than I thought it would be. We are on week three and already they have drawn out  comb on 6 to 7 frames. So my wife Annette added the super to the top yesterday and in doing so we had to remove some comb/ honey from the hive. Wow it tasted great and I now have a little wax for adding to pine pitch.  We also noticed that two of the frames have been capped meaning that we have baby bees on the way!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:59:14 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: updates on a few things
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 06:02:35 am »
G;ad you are getting better,I didn't even know you got hurt.The bee thing is cool ,I have thought about doing that myself. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:12:07 am »
Sounds good on the bees John.  Hope your leg heals up good. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:55:09 am »
I'm glad your on the mend John!  That fall could've been a lot worse.  You came close to putting your arrow into your own twelve ring.  No good that!  Josh

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 06:19:15 pm »
glad you are feeling better.bees are on the decline.when they are gone,so are we.i have been thinking of getting a few hives myself,but i know nothing about it.i guess i could do a little research and learn.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 11:26:49 pm »
this dummy is gonna read it.thanks John.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 10:05:29 pm »
I have fallen on a nock end of an arrow before.. and lets say it hurts. You are lucky, with a self arrow it would probably would have gone in... unless you were wearing a thick jacket.  You have my sympathy for your leg...
 Nice on the beeswax! I would enjoy raising bees and sellin the wax... but parents aren't very fond of bees.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Poggins

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 11:55:57 pm »
John, are you using a ten frame or eight frame hive box ? If they have some brood capped I'd bet a lot of the drawn comb has eggs or young in them also, unless they have filled them with honey. I guess you're not feeding them now , must have a good nectar flow going on in Iowa right now. I made my first split of the year yesterday , could have made more but didn't want to slow my other hives down.

Glad you were quick enough to avoid a disaster , hope you heal up quick, you'll need to when a super gets full , some of the ones I pulled last year weighed about fifty pounds fully drawn on my medium supers.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 12:18:50 am »
John and Annette's hive is set up in a very nice way.  It has good shade most of the day with good exposure to the sun in the morning.  He has a pond just a few yards away, so the bees will have sufficient water all summer.  They are surrounded by fields, forests, creeks, etc.  When I was there the bees were packing monster saddlebags of pollen and moving in lockstep order...very organized.  I popped off the outer and  inner covers without smoking the bees just to get a look at them.  There was some momentary confusion, but they were amazingly calm.  They were clustered nicely in the middle.  Being a brand new hive, that told me his queen was in residence and holding court.  Also, starting with a brand new hive, his bees have had to draw every lick of comb, a major undertaking! 

Yup, good bees!

My four hives seem to be doing pretty good, but I did lose one queen.  That hive was re-queened on Thursday morning and I'll check on her Monday.  Hoping I get some alfalfa and clover this year! I could stand some honey about now.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 02:13:11 am »
When I make a split it is because they are about to swarm . What I'm doing is artificially swarming them by removing the old queen and just enough brood to give her a head start ( usually two frames of brood and two frames of honey , or feed them ) . I locate the frames that have queen cells started and carefully place them in a spare hive body so they won't get smashed or shaken , I then take frames with bees on them and shake the bees into the hive with the old queen ( I try to get about a third of the bees with the old queen , this leaves enough bees with the new queen to keep them in good shape until she makes her maiden flight) then I put the top on them and move them at least a mile away so the foragers return to that hive and not the origanel . The frames with the queen cells should be placed back into the old hive as soon as the other hive is shut up , be sure to be easy and not smash the queen cells . If the new queens are very close to comming out of their cells and the old queen has not left yet the workers that were going to go with the swarm will probably tank up on honey so you will not have to place very much honey with them and you may not have to move the old queen very far , just watch them to see if any try to go back to the old hive . I have split strong hives that wasn't going to swarm by taking a frame with queen cells from one that was , just gently sweep the bees off back into their hive and use bees from the hive that you want to split , you will have to move the split some distance away ( if you know of other beekeepers around and they will let you set it up close to the it will give you a good drone supply for the new queen), be sure you get enough bees and honey in the new hive and a frame or two with plenty of pollen . You can also cut a queen cell from a frame but it takes practice , you have to. Keep them warm and don't shake them or turn them over ( sometimes the new queen will shift in the cell and it will kill her or deforme her ) . I have had new queens emerge from their cells while I was working the hive , I got three new queens at one time this way , the bees were confused by the smoke and did not kill them as they came out ( sometimes the workers will keep a new queen in their cells for a couple of days , this may have been what was going on with the hive at the time) . I made up some five frame hives and put a frame with brood and bees and a frame of honey with them, they made it and I used one of the queens in a hive that had an old queen that was not laying enough eggs to keep the hive going. That year I was up to eighteen hives then we had two bad winters in a row and the droughts here in Oklahoma and I lost most of them ( lost my biggest hives in one winter storm when we had below zero temps and fifty mile an hour winds , the honey over clusters condensed moister and the bees froze ). I started this year with seven hives then lost one when we had a bad storm , the winds were over sixty miles an hour and blew the top off a hive and they drowned in the heavy rain, now with the split I'm back to seven hives. The eighteen hives was hard to keep up with and have a full time job .

I raise my own queens and some of mine are a little meaner than most ( might just be the ones the horses knocked over a few times that are the mean ones) , even gentle bees like to sting me for some reason).

If your bees swarm and the bees gather on a tree a good way to catch the swarm is a frame with a little brood in it placed in a five gallon bucket , just hold the bucket on the bottom of the swarm and they will go to it to keep the brood warm then you place the frame in a hive and your good to go .
I do clip my queens wings , but my brothers don't , they put out swarm catch boxes with a little bit of comb in them and hope a swarm goes in.

As you work the bees you will learn a lot that isn't in the books , one thing a lot of books fail to mention is that some queens sing ( they make what I call a piping sound by vibrating their wings) and it almost like a hen when she sings before or after she lays an egg , hard to discribe but you'll know it when you hear it  and if you have one that sings its a lot easer to locate here .

Hope you get some use from this , any other questions you might have I'll try to answer, good luck with the bees .

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 05:39:01 pm »
Queen bees give many of their commands by auditory means.  Queens area actually quite noisy little bees.  Try hanging around with a stethoscope pressed against the side of the hive body some time.  The different calls have been recorded and most of them are categorized according to their usage. 

But there is one command that the bee has no auditory command for....WAR!  When a hive has been invaded by another bee colony, the word comes down from headquarters by touch/feel and scent only.  That way the chain of command is preserved and communications are kept secret. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 08:45:05 pm »
A lot o cool information. Thanks guys!  8)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 08:53:48 pm »
I'm glad your on the mend John!  That fall could have  been a lot worse.  You came close to putting your arrow into your own twelve ring.  No good that!  Josh
Yep you saw it first hand. I would say that my athletic dodge of the Indian bullet was an Olympic performance, I just should have stretched first lol.
Lol!  John, you are the only guy I know that could bust his donkey, barely avoid skewering himself on his own arrow and turn right around and start bragging that it was an athletic feat worthy of Olympian accolades!  >:D  You crack me up Dude!  Lol!  Josh