Author Topic: Harvesting Hickory  (Read 7748 times)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
Re: Harvesting Hickory
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 05:04:09 pm »
 now you got me chomping at the bit to get my own hickory harvested!
Wyandot used it for baskets, though it might need to be thinned  or gouged at creases enough to bend.
Here's an old bark Wyandot sap "basket" collected here in Okl in 1911 - 12
obviously this bark is alot thinner than the ones i'm getting off here from pignut or bitternut hickory.

one thing you can do,after drawknifing the rough bark layer off is simply let the bark dry until you need it.
it can be re-hydrated by soaking, drying it will curl up into itself (which means controlled it could make an awesome quiver
(my own intention for sure)

I think your wife will like this page on bark work: http://www.wildroots.org/links.php
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Buffalo John

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 05:46:52 pm »
Got more down, next week I am planning on cutting some 3 foot sections to try arrow making. and some chunks for the grill.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 10:23:36 am »
yep, after doing some brush hogging finally got to harvest some hickory myself.
bark slipped easy. the "tubes" will be used for making quivers once i remove the rougher outer surface with drawknife.
I'll post quiver making process on another thread once things start taking shape.
 left some bark on some smaller sections to cut strips for weaving or ...who knows yet!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...