Author Topic: Propane torch for straightening shafts  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Propane torch for straightening shafts
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 01:43:47 pm »
Heat is heat.  too much is an element of time.  I streatened a dozens shafts on a wood burning stove this spring and they all turned out great.  I've been shooting them for a couple months and their still straight as an arrow :o

With practice you can use anything.  A candle works good when you're setting in front of the tv with the family.  Quiet and effective.  It does leave black marks but hey...adds character right!
well, if sister just sprayed half a can of hairspray into her hair, it can get explosive  :o :o
I don't watch TV much :P
Candles do add little black marks... they look kinda cool.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Propane torch for straightening shafts
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 02:50:21 pm »
   I never had a problem with the camo look of the burn the candle leaves. Use cooking oil with the candle dose not leave as much use'lly what it dose, sand the little it leaves. Use a sero with a wick no black candle smoke. No matter what to use if you over heat it leaves a burnt mark.
   I make a mold the go's over my heat guns nosile. Which narrows the heat down to 1/4,1/2 inch. To keep from takeing out close beens you just straighten. I also use cooking oil just like you'd on beening staves. I found out useing it seams to heat up fast helps with black marks with breakage and helps with memory.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING