Author Topic: equalizing arrow weight?  (Read 3555 times)

Offline adb

Re: equalizing arrow weight?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 04:37:03 pm »
Adding tip weight to an arrow will change(decrease) the effective spine of the arrow by about 5# for each 25grains added.  When I make cane or hardwood shoot arrows I only spine them to find the stiff side and that side goes against the bow. I think that matching the physical weight of primitive arrows is more critical than matching spine weight, at least for me.

Pat is right. Adding tip weight changes the spine... in this case, reducing it. The arrow will flex more because it has to overcome more tip weight. It depends on what bow I`m shooting. For target archery, proper spine is more important to me. For shooting warbows, I don`t measure spine at all, but arrow weight is critical.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 04:48:39 pm by adb »

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 05:23:35 pm »
Pouring solder into holes drilled into the ends of arrows works well. Tried it.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 12:26:43 pm »
Great thread. Keep it going and let us know what you learn. I to am experimenting with weight and spine on shoots and would love to hear the results!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 05:54:30 pm »
If you could somehow add weight near the center of the shaft - what about using a barrel tapering to match weight? More tapering on the heavy shafts?

Offline steve b.

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 08:07:08 pm »
Yes, Muffin, what you said will work.   The bow and arrow doesn't know whether you have a 200 grn point or a 50 grn point and some solder or lead up front.
Regarding weight of arrows and proper spine:  We know that heavier arrows absorb more energy from the bow.  This is a good thing as it will keep the stress off the bow and keep it longer-lasting.  So if you are interested in keeping a bow alive then, like people, reduce stress.
Regarding arrow lethality in a hunting situation:  The arrow that flies true is more important than draw weight or arrow speed.  We tend to like numbers but the truth is that a 40 lbs bow that flings an arrow true is more deadly than a 60 lbs. bow shooting and arrow that not only hits the target at a slight angle but probably lost energy wobbling downrange in the process.
You'll save yourself a lot of time, energy, and money in the future if you adopt the philosophy that you care less about arrow spine, diameter, length, speed, type of broadhead, type of shaft, etc. etc., and just find an arrow combo that shoots true from your particular bow.  It will shoot farther and more accurately and will be more deadly assuming your broadhead is sharp.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 07:34:18 am »
That's hitting it on the nail head steve b.Bare shaft tuning is a must.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed