Author Topic: proper length bow  (Read 1178 times)

Offline hilltophickory

proper length bow
« on: May 11, 2013, 08:54:36 pm »
I have just came upon a 8 ft x6inch hedge post , I would like a 45 lb or less  flat bow for hunting . I have in the past built quite a few bows but mine all seem to finish out over 50 lbs and above, but they are all hickorys . I am a proper bow draw length at 27 inchs . Most the other bows were built and finished at the length of the stave  whatever it may have been.                 this time I have 8ft to work with any suggestions?
Hickorys what I Know best

Offline RyanY

Re: proper length bow
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 09:01:48 pm »
The bow I built for myself at the classic was 66" ntn with a 10" handle and fade section. I really like that length. I'll post pics of it soon after I get the finish on it.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 02:20:01 am »
A flatbow for hunting at 45# anywhere from 60-68" would be perfect.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:44:24 am »
  The longer and wider the limbs the more the stress is distubed over the limbs. Makeing less set and string follow. But to much, mass weight of the bow over rides the the leanth and slows you bow.
  When I hunted from tree stands I perfered a 64" bow. Whan I started totally ground hunting. I shot from a stool now milk creates. I perfer a 60 "bow.
  Gobbler hunting I set up and shoot totally off my butt. I like a 54,56" bow. I prefer less can that bow lenth.
  Lenth really is personal and like said lenth evens out the stress althrough the limbs. Makeing it a better bow.
  TO A EXSTENT
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING