Author Topic: Eastern woodlands inspired hickory bow  (Read 2769 times)

Offline ksnow

Eastern woodlands inspired hickory bow
« on: May 08, 2013, 09:17:19 pm »
Hi all.  Recently put the finishing touches on a hickory flatbow, inspired by several woodlands bows I have seen in books.  It was made from a 4/4 rough sawn hickory board, about half sapwood and half heartwood.  Finished it pulls 53# at my 26" draw length.  It shoots very nice, I am really starting to like the simplicity of the eastern woodlands bows.  I see many more of them in my future.  Thanks for all the tips in signing bows, it really came in handy.

Kyle

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Eastern woodlands inspired hickory bow
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 09:26:15 pm »
Looks nice like the way the sap wood & the heart wood look.
Rob

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 09:33:16 pm »
Nice job. What did you finally decide on to sign it with?

My eyes could be playing tricks on me, but it looks a little stiff coming out of the handle.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline ksnow

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:44:48 pm »
I used a different style sharpie, apparently not all sharpie's are equal.  May be a bit stiff out of the fades, though there are no fades, just a slight narrowing for the middle 4" for a handle.  I always seem to start with the bow bending more right at the fades, and have to work the rest of the limb.  So, maybe I am ending up with stiff fades out of fear of overworking them in the beginning stages.

Kyle

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 10:44:26 pm »
The fades is just a term used as the area directly above and below the handle so we can specify a certain area in the limbs...and yes lesken is right....next time distribute your bend better up near the handle and out near the tips....all your bending is in a 10" area in the mid limbs...almost hinged to some....but congrats on getting a shooter

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 11:23:25 pm »
That looks really good.  What is your string made out of?

Offline ksnow

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 09:30:47 am »
The string is b-50, have yet to try a primitive one.  I did fond some heavy linene thread, but after doing break tests I would have needed a string about 1/4" thick.  If I am home enough this fall/winter I hope to find and collect dogane, and I am definitely going to try a squirrel rawhide string.

Kyle

Offline robby

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 10:56:03 am »
A nice simple, clean, hickory bow. I like it a lot!!!! nice job!
Robby

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 11:33:43 am »
Way to go Kyle!  Looks like a shooter.
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 11:35:53 am »
Is it just me or does it seem that there's a slight hinge in the upper part of the top limb at full draw?
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...