Author Topic: Guidance on vine maple knots  (Read 3964 times)

Offline dmenzies1950

Re: Guidance on vine maple knots
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 03:39:17 pm »
I have to agree with Bryce. The knots are no big deal, but I bet you can overcome the violated back with silk or rawhide. I have saved some as bad as that one by backing them.
                                    Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 02:09:47 pm »
OK folks.  I scraped out the punk and it wasn't as bad as it looked.  Pretty tight little burl underneath.  I filled the small cracks with CA for insurance.

Thank for guidance on the pin knots.  Cut through them and no problems.  Now tiller, to the steamer for a little straightening and silk backing. I'll post the final pics when I'm done.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline steve b.

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 11:15:18 pm »
Dan I'd like to see the belly where that burl is.  Consider that if its swirly there in that area that the wood may not have any integrity, like a knot, and should be treated like a knot, IMO, by not allowing as much bend through that area.  If you were to steam and bend that area you would see it just crack open since the grain does not flow through.    By allowing it to bend there you may be weakening it.  But if the bow is kept long and the bend there slight then you may be ok.