Author Topic: Ash flatbow: all advice welcome!  (Read 4745 times)

Offline arklowrebel

Ash flatbow: all advice welcome!
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:17:34 am »
Hi all

I am working on an ash flatbow.  It is 74" ntn, with mahogany tip overlays and riser block.  All in all, it's a curious animal, but I'm just trying to make a bow from the materials that I was able to lay my hands on.  I'd like it to come in at around 50# at 31", but I'll settle for just getting a working bow.

I am at tillering stage at present.  The picture attached is at 22" draw on a slightly long string.  Any comments on the tillering so far??  The lower limb (on the right) is, I think, a little stiffer.

Also - the limbs are following the string quite a bit already.  This seems to be an issue with ash, but is it too late to toast the belly?

Thanks for your help.

Offline twisted hickory

Re: Ash flatbow: all advice welcome!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 07:25:35 am »
I would say get a short brace on the bow next. It looks like you don't need any more scraping near the fades. If it is taking set a heat treat would be good before you pull on it any more. There are other on here w more experience but thats what I would do.
Greg

Offline dwardo

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:52:14 am »
Mid limbs seem to be stiff to my eyes?
This could be showing worse than it is with a long string. I try to get braced as early as possible.

oops took to long lol

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 08:39:37 am »
I think if you want that drawlength, you'll need to get every inch of it working.
I don't think you can afford the luxury of stiff tips.
Heat treatment will help a lot, IMO the outer half- third of each limb is doing V little at the moment. Leave the inner half (I bet that's where the set is) and get the outers moving.
Just my few pennyworth.
Del
BTW How wide is it?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:43:30 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 09:24:12 am »
 You said (slightly long) is it actually braced or loose on the string? Good advice from everyone...Heat treat now before you go further. Stay off the fades for now. Do you have a reflex form?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:23:15 am »
Narrow the back to 2/3rds the width of the belly.
Be very careful with heat near your riser and overlays!
How does it taper in width?

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 11:40:10 am »
A front profile description will help with giving tillering advice. Is it a pyramid bow? Get rid of that long string asap!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 12:07:46 pm »
I agree with what's been said.

Put it on a short string - full brace height. See where you are with the draw weight. How much room do you have for tillering?
We need the front profile (width) to give you proper tillering advice. Also, try a more even lighting and without a red oval, so we actually see the bow itself, rather than red lines and reflection.
Heat treat the belly, but be careful not to heat that handle, or the glue with let go.
Trap the back, by making the back narrower than the belly.

BTW; why do you need a 31"  draw? That's a very long draw length.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline arklowrebel

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 12:10:45 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I really appreciate your advice.

Del/Mike - it is one and three-eighths of an inch wide to the fades.  Then it narrows to half an inch at the nocks.

Donald - it is braced but at a very low brace height.  I don't have a reflex form - that's something I'm going to have to make soon.

abd - it's not a pyramid bow.

Darksoul - I have a 31" draw.  Arms like an orang-utan!   :)

I'll post an update when I have progressed it a little further.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 04:11:32 pm »
One and 3/8 of an inch wide is very narrow for ash.
I had one recently that was 1.5 inch wide and it was a no go. Belly fractures and loads of set.
Ash, at least average ash wants to be atleast 2 inches wide for a flattie and loves the heat.
Try to get all of the limbs working and you might want to tone down the weight some.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 04:28:15 pm »
Yea. You might want to go lighter. your tiller is gonna have to be pretty dang good for this to work.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 08:33:52 pm »
I've had poor luck with ash personally... Mine have all been more along the lines of 2" at the fades to mid limb and tapering to 1/2 nocks at 66".  Have had a lot of issues with set.  I've found that toasting the belly helps with set at least 50%.   74" inches is long...but I bet you still don't have enough wood here to cut down on set.

Others have had better luck with ash.  Maybe it's the quality of the wood and or very careful tillering.

Offline arklowrebel

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 12:05:44 pm »
Thanks all.  Looks like I'm unlikely to make it to completion!  I'm going to keep going with it for the moment; it's all a learning process and I might learn as much from a fail as from a success.

I have toasted the belly and the set has dropped from 4" to under 2".  I have been able to fully brace the bow and I am working on getting the outer ends of the limbs to work more.  I have not drawn it beyond 24" yet.  It is 45# at that drawlength.  I'll keep you posted.   :)