Author Topic: Bow broke can you pick out the weak spot?  (Read 3693 times)

Offline Granite Mtn

Bow broke can you pick out the weak spot?
« on: April 27, 2013, 02:08:41 pm »
I was taking pics of this elm bow while at full draw the silk backing broke about a 1.25 crack across the back not reaching the edge.  Now the stats 64in ntn low 80s high 70s lbs at 27in.  Now the history, I had put about 300 to 400 arrows through her then carried her for two days strung on a hog hunt in Texas she sent arrows through 4 hogs including one end to end at forty six paces, broke the right front shoulder exited left rear ham it was a mid sized boar about 200 to 230.  The last pic I wil post was actually taken about 1 millisecond after I heard the back give out!  I used three layers of silk because the back of this piece of elm was not perfect and the heavy weight I was trying to get.  Any how I drew the bow three more times to break it and get it over with but not so much as a creak.  Now normally once a bow shows a sign of weakness it gets cut up and burned I am not in the business of repairing junk.  But this bow held so much promise and shot so well,  I was lured into a sinew wrap repair affair !  The rest of the story later!  See if you can pick out the weak spot in this bow!!!!

Offline Weylin

Re: Bow broke can you pick out the weak spot?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 02:11:41 pm »
If I had to guess I would say it was in the inner third of the top limb. Seems to be doing a lot of work there.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 02:40:59 pm »
the inner third on the top limb would be my guess as well
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 03:02:45 pm »
My bows usually break inner to mid limb on the top.I'm going to go out on a "limb" and guess bottom mid.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 04:00:05 pm »
Think I'll say bottom mid limb could be the spot.  My last 2 bows broke in the same place, about 14 inches from the tips of the Top limb.  ???     So outer third
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 04:11:01 pm »
Those first couple of pics are distorted sorry don't know why phones do that trust the last two!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 05:14:17 pm »
Bottom Mid?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 05:16:59 pm »
i read somewhere you can check the genral tiller by squinting and looking at the shape and my first thought was the bottom-mid but after seeing others saying top inner-third i would agree with that aswell. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 12:21:44 am »
It broke in the dead middle of the top limb. Your sinew repair patch actually stiffened the limb up so it now shows as a flat spot. ;) By the way, all bows I have backed with silk have broken. ( minus one which I backed with black silk for a base to put a light colored snake skin onto. ) I have no faith in silk as a backing.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 03:45:55 am »
If the back is violated you need a heavy, tough backing to keep it together. As you've found out silk isn't that great at this job! I would've used really thick rawhide or sinew.
Leaving your bow strung for two days is not a great idea!

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 10:56:29 am »
well some got close some not so much.  The backing failed between the fade and three small pin knots that ran across the back of the bottom limb.  The bow was drawn multiple times with no failure after the back failed but it did not effect tiller so i wrapped it with sinew.  no pics i have posted so far have shown the sinew repair.  The first time I shot the bow the bottom limb failed with a shake running from the failed back both directions into the fade and to the tip.  The sinew wrap held the bow together!  Here is a pic of the break area.

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 11:08:37 am »
here is another pic of the belly side of the break.  Sleek i find it really interesting you have had silk backed bows break.  This is the first one i have ever had break.  I have only made 15 or 20 with silk backing so its not like hundreds but they have all worked great I still shoot a yew wood bow quite often that I built about 10 years ago with silk backing that is in the mid 60sLbs at 27in.  What type of silk did you try glue type? I use dupeoni silk SP? and tbIII.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 12:41:15 pm »
Well I guess this means dig another stave out of the pile, grab your pencil, and sip coffee that was brewed over the busted bow while you sketch out a new one on a stave ;)
My day is coming, I just finished putting a handle wrap on a great hickory bow this morning after turkey hunting...I hope it ain't that one.
Happens to the best of us. That bow is beautiful
Greg