Author Topic: Bowyers eyes please.  (Read 5348 times)

Offline dwardo

Re: Bowyers eyes please.
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 07:42:49 pm »
Nice bow! That's a wrap. Super tiller. I hate "the look". I wonder  how many times I got the look in 41 years of marriage. :) Jawge

Its the look that needs no explanation, doesn't even matter if you are right or wrong - just back down keep eye contact until a safe distance is achieved.

Offline danny f

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 05:46:31 am »
they are both looking nice. cant wait to see them finished off.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 06:56:01 am »
they are both looking nice. cant wait to see them finished off.
+1

Hey George, I assume your still married after gettin the look for 41 years? I have been wondering if the divorce rate is higher among bowyers ever since I started into this a year ago and have had the initial few questions about "why" then the look, and now mostly ignoring if I stay out of her way  ;D

Offline dwardo

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 08:49:51 am »
This is the molly effort. Seems to shoot ok but not as fast as previous bows. Thinking of tempering it again one last time. Follow is about 1.5 inch. What you all thinking?

Bit of limb torque on the top but its tricky to remove as the wood is a little all over the shop there. Knot doesnt help much.

mikekeswick

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 10:22:09 am »
I found a monster cherry the other day, it must have been 2 1/2 feet diameter and straight as a telegraph pole! Bit heavy to carry back though!
Just looking at that last photo I would say that the inner limbs should be bending a shade more. 2 bricks lines above and below your hand. The mid limbs are working a little too much and then they stop bending a little too soon before the levers.
I'd blend the bend out of the fade into mid limb a little. Then where it's not bending enough outer limb i'd narrow it all the way into the levers taking out the 'shoulder' at the lever fades. All with the idea of getting a more elliptical tiller but also adjusting the working limb width profile so it doesn't need to be really elliptical...comprende?? Sort of meeting in the middle.
The thickness of the lever at the limb/lever fade only needs to be a shade thicker than the working limb thickness - it's a fun game reducing that area and still keeping it stiff where you want it to be!

Offline dwardo

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 11:49:27 am »
I found a monster cherry the other day, it must have been 2 1/2 feet diameter and straight as a telegraph pole! Bit heavy to carry back though!
Just looking at that last photo I would say that the inner limbs should be bending a shade more. 2 bricks lines above and below your hand. The mid limbs are working a little too much and then they stop bending a little too soon before the levers.
I'd blend the bend out of the fade into mid limb a little. Then where it's not bending enough outer limb i'd narrow it all the way into the levers taking out the 'shoulder' at the lever fades. All with the idea of getting a more elliptical tiller but also adjusting the working limb width profile so it doesn't need to be really elliptical...comprende?? Sort of meeting in the middle.
The thickness of the lever at the limb/lever fade only needs to be a shade thicker than the working limb thickness - it's a fun game reducing that area and still keeping it stiff where you want it to be!

Go back with more hands mate!
Thanks for the input its appreciated. Will get the bend upto to those levers and reduce the ott transition to the levers. Think I will temper the belly one more time just for luck as it feels the belly is taking set and weight dropping a little. Will be going back to other designs after this  ::)

Offline dwardo

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 01:12:06 pm »
Quick update on the cherry with flipped tips.
After a heat treat flat its pulling nicely 50@26
Showing little set so seems to be holding together. Just that horrible bit of removing tip mass.
Can anyone see anything that jumps out? Top limb has an old knot in it just before last third so that area might look a nit funky also a little limb twist here and there.

NFD (nearly full draw :) )

Hope to get back to the molly soon, once i finish this other static wych elm which has my head scratching.
Cherry 60 ntn none bending handle. Not quite sure if the tips will work a bit yet or not.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 06:52:53 am »
This is the big ole knot. Calling dell, and any other knot experts, to fill or not to fill?
At the moment just has a little wood glue in the back and superglued the belly so far.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 12:35:09 pm »
If you put some glue in there and all is well, I wouldn't fill it.

mikekeswick

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 03:15:19 pm »
It looks spot on.
I think i'd shoot it at 26 for a bit look at where the set is distributed. If nothing changes i'd sand it and pull to full draw.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 04:38:45 pm »
Thanks chaps will shoot the living daylights out of it tomorrow and see how it goes.
Have drawn the current profile onto the board, great tip mike thanks.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 10:04:48 pm »
For that Molly, it looks like you could reduce the mass of the levers be reducing their width further.  That might help performance. Remember wood twice as wide is twice as strong, twice as thick is eight times as strong.  Bend looks good to me.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline dwardo

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 09:37:09 am »
It looks spot on.
I think i'd shoot it at 26 for a bit look at where the set is distributed. If nothing changes i'd sand it and pull to full draw.

Sanded and reduced the tip mass down some. Shot a few dozen arrows through it and only shows half inch of change which is distributed mainly along the outer two thirds of the limb which is fine :)

Seems to put them where I look although these arrows are maybe a little underspinded for this bow as I have a little fish tailing going on. Either that or i cant shoot for toffee which is also a likely contender.

Little more sanding and finish her up. Thanks for the input chaps ;)