Author Topic: Hickory Backed Jatoba R/D  (Read 7588 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Hickory Backed Jatoba R/D
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 10:07:00 pm »
  That Jatoba will chrysal at the slightest hint of a hinge, I would check that top limb near the fades very carefully for chrysals. I have never seen jatoba that light in color? maybe the light colored stuff is less chrysal prone.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 10:13:25 pm »
Yep, them exotic woods can be temperamental.  Just keep an eye on her.  She's beautiful though, nonetheless!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Josh B

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 11:43:49 pm »
That is a beauty! Your finish work is top notch!  Josh

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 01:12:57 am »
Thanks everyone! I checked the tiller on the top limb, and watched it being shot about 100 times. No chrysals so far and I still think the tiller looks pretty good. I've made six bows from this jatoba and haven't had a problem yet. I guess we'll see.
SW Utah

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 08:07:29 am »
Very nice bow like everything about it.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 08:42:53 am »
Beautiful bow,finish work is exceptional. :) :) May be the angle but I tend to agree with the above on top limb.Good luck,hope it work out. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 02:19:05 pm »
And then a picture just because I thought it was funny. My latest tips compared to my first attempt at overlays.   :o Go ahead and laugh, I know I am.   ;)
I won't laugh. If I am slogging thru the woods after a deer that I just shot and drop one of those tips on a rock which one will break?
I like the looks of the narrow tips but I like to hunt with my bows. My next bow will be a target bow....going to try for 1/4 in

Thanks guys! Hmmm, twisted that is a good point, I'll keep that in mind on my next hunting bow.  ;)
I bet it's fast. The tips are awsome. Love to see what point on distance is w a 10 grain per pound arrow. 50 yards? Some guy is going to be happy :)

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 06:49:05 pm »
And then a picture just because I thought it was funny. My latest tips compared to my first attempt at overlays.   :o Go ahead and laugh, I know I am.   ;)
I won't laugh. If I am slogging thru the woods after a deer that I just shot and drop one of those tips on a rock which one will break?
I like the looks of the narrow tips but I like to hunt with my bows. My next bow will be a target bow....going to try for 1/4 in

Thanks guys! Hmmm, twisted that is a good point, I'll keep that in mind on my next hunting bow.  ;)
I bet it's fast. The tips are awsome. Love to see what point on distance is w a 10 grain per pound arrow. 50 yards? Some guy is going to be happy :)

It's definitely the fastest bow I've made to date. I can tell the difference just by the sound as the arrow flies and the penetration is about two inches more then my only comparable bow.
SW Utah

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 03:27:32 pm »
Great job on a very nice bow.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin