Author Topic: first bow (well, the second), first post  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Twokag

first bow (well, the second), first post
« on: April 25, 2013, 07:47:43 pm »
I have been reading and learing here. First, a thank you for all the good information.

A freind of mine makes bows, and for my son's birthday I got a roughed blank from him and away I went tapering and tillering.  Maple with purple heart and oak grip.  First bow = epic failure.  I tried to brace it way to early, and a nice loud snap.  Nothing subtle about it.  Pieces on the floor.  So, second attempt, after a lot more reading, was better.  Not great, and not shot yet.  We need to get arrows first.  It has been a long time since archery growing up.  So, here are some images (If I can figure out how to post them).  The marks on the wall are not perfect, just to give a reference.  I think it is slightly out of balance and not perfectly tillered.  It ended up about 66" ntn and 30-34# (as close as a cheap fish scale will read) @27".

What do you think?

The next project is going to be a pyramid hopefully around the 45# mark.

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: first bow (well, the second), first post
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 07:50:44 pm »
left limb is a tad stiff mid limb and a bit out, but for your second its not bad. when your holding the bow it looks a bit funky. try putting an arrow on it and getting the arrow at a 90 degree angle to the string, mark that point and thats where your should be drawing from.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 07:53:49 pm »
I personally like the bend on the left limb more since it looks like a pyramid profile. Right limb is bending a tad much mid limb. Overall nice job for your second bow!

Jon

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 07:58:53 pm »
in the riser pic it look's like the top fade has a 20 deg pitch from side to side, take care and try to get the fades a smooth and even transition, the devil is in the details, nice first bow, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Twokag

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 07:59:46 pm »
Thanks.  one pass too many on the right side, and got a hinge.  eased it a little either side of it to smooth it out.  I am afraid to do much more to it or it will be too light. 

I should get a new pic with it being pulled from the correct spot...

The real test will be shooting it I suppose.  Luckily my son does not have a full draw yet, hopefully that reduces the chances of failure.

I will take a look at the riser, but I think it might be an illusion from the angle of the camera, it think the riser and bow are pretty straight.

I appreciate the quick replies.

Offline Twokag

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 08:19:54 pm »
two more quick images.

1 - draw directly across from the arrow rest

2 - straight shot to check for pitch side to side

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 08:22:00 pm »
cool it just looked wonky in the first pic
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹