Author Topic: Kid's bow stats  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Weylin

Kid's bow stats
« on: April 25, 2013, 02:16:59 am »
I'm working on a vine maple kid's bow right now. I am a teacher at a school that my son goes to and we are having an auction as a fundraiser. I'm going to donate this bow to the auction but I'm not sure exactly what the specs should be. I've made some kid's bows for little guys, 3-5 years old, and they are around 8-10# @ 15"ish. I want this bow to be for children in the 6-7 age range but I'm not sure what their draw length would be or how much they can pull. I know it can vary quite a bit from child to child but I'm just trying to get in the ball park so it will be useable by a wide range of kids. I'd also like to over-build it a bit if I can so that they can grow into it. The bow is 48" with a 5" stiff handle/fades and it has flipped tips. Right now I have it bending nicely at 20# @16". Any thoughts from people who have build some kid's bows? Thanks.  8)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Kid's bow stats
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 02:36:13 am »
The way I like to make my kids bows is 1lb drawn for each year of age until they feel the bow is to weak (usually around age 15), and then I increase the poundage.  I also make one every year for each kid, on average.  I make the arrows very weak in spine and a little long. That way, they shoot right where the kids point them, even if they want to shoot something 2 feet away.

That's a LOT weaker than other guys build 'em, so I'd wait for more replies.

Edit:  One more thing, I make 'em as weak as I can for safety as well as for comfort.  A kid with a 15# to 20# bow is a scary thing.   :o
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:39:46 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 03:36:57 am »
I usually do 20#@20". That way they can grow into it a bit. And shoot it longer than a year or two.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 04:27:35 am »
one i made recently was  10#@20" but that broke because of a chrysal, i may make the next one to your dimensions. back to the drawing board. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:55:08 am »
10 -15#@17" is a good average ,but I like the idea of 20#@20" like Bryce said. That likely works out to somewhere around the 15@17" mark . I make the kids bows as small as possible for the younger ones (it's hard for them to hold a longer bow with a bigger handle) They wind up looking like toys (dangerously deceptive) but they really fling an arrow.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:52:48 am by lostarrow »

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 11:14:24 am »
Sounds like you got the length about right.  I made all three of my daughters a new bow at six and they were all about 10-12 pounds at 20".  Of course they can't draw 20" yet but it gives em a couple years to use them before they out grow them.  I make their arrows from 1/4" oak dowels with about 2" fletches.  If the dowels have good straight grain they are pretty tough.  I hope that helps a little.  Josh

Offline arklowrebel

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 11:33:18 am »
I make mine 20# at 24".  I'm hoping that will enable them to keep using the bows for a couple of years.  I made this one (http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,33085.msg436735.html#msg436735) last year and it is still going strong.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 11:35:08 am »
I usually do 20#@20". That way they can grow into it a bit. And shoot it longer than a year or two.

+1
Just made to for my nieces that are 20# @ 20" and it was just right for the both of them.  One is 9 and the other is 6.  Hope that helps  :D ;D  :laugh:

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 12:10:51 am »
That does help a lot. Thanks guys. I'll shoot for 20# @20" or maybe a little lighter. I'm having fun with this one. It's going to be a cool little bow. I'll post some pics when Im done. I like making kids bows.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 12:54:46 am »
There pretty fun to make!
You bringing it to the range ;)
Can't wait to check it out Holmes!
Clatskanie, Oregon