Author Topic: D/R osage stave build-a-long  (Read 19029 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Re: D/R osage stave build-a-long
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2013, 08:21:27 pm »
Man, I want to give one those a try.  Well, it would probably be 5 or 6 tries to get one that shoots.  But, it would be fun journey.  It would probably save me more time, money and wood to just go stay with Blackhawk for a week during that attempt.  haha
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

blackhawk

« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2013, 09:17:02 pm »
+1 roy....with reflexed bows you cant go to a brace lower than 3" because it will just want to flip on you....so when I tiller whether using my tree like I used too or floor tiller,i get the tiller  as close to dead nuts as I can and with about ten pounds left to go before I even brace it because of this...and ill go right to a 3 1/2"-4" brace. that way you don't have flipping issues,and itll be much easier to brace and not have too much tension on it.

tiller critique....both fades are stiff...all your bend is concentrated mid limb....I know its gonna look like big ole hinges off the fades,but you need to get those 5" or so moving...its pretty easy to see by your unstrung and bending on the tree pic...also are you making stiff lever tips? if not then you need more bend out past the outer third as well. I would def get the fades bending first before you brace it

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2013, 09:48:47 pm »
Clint Im no wiz at r/d's. One thing that helped me understand the whole near limb movement thing was looking at the bow at rest and then pulled on the long string. The first 10" are unchanged. That got me see'in what I needed to get moving. Thats why its a breeze to make ultra light r/d bows if ya' aint careful.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline randman

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2013, 01:49:40 am »
Lookin good Clintster! The tip overlays are Brazilian Rosewood. I'd recognize that black spiderweb from a mile away. Almost extinct now. Got used up for guitars and old stanley plane handles.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2013, 09:17:02 pm »
I have been fighting the tiller on this thing.  I think it is about as good as it is going to get.  The limbs come off the handle at a slightle different angle and causes it to look a little off I think. 

45# @ 28"

I also got the handle rough shaped.  I think it looks good with the overall shape of the bow.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline dbb

« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2013, 10:30:32 pm »
Cool bow!
Btw,i think someone been testing the sharpness of his broadheads :)
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

blackhawk

« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2013, 10:33:19 pm »
Its a lil off but close....funky looking that's for sure...that one is def messing with my eyes the longer I look at it

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2013, 10:50:32 pm »
That looks challenging.  I Like when they have that perfect natural arrow pass.  Shoots like a cut-in shelf without having a cut in shelf.  8)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2013, 12:47:44 am »
Those tip overlays are rosewood, rosewood got its name drone the smell.  If it is that old it is probably Brazilian rose wood.  In my opinion the best smelling woods out there, and the best wood for acoustic guitars.   But that is one charactory bow, looks cool.  Hard to tiller well done.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2013, 12:58:18 am »
Cool bow!
Btw,i think someone been testing the sharpness of his broadheads :)

If you are referring to the bald patch on my arm, good eye.  I've been sharpening some knives.

Offline bubby

« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2013, 03:35:57 pm »
man what a scary bow to tiller, glad it's you and not me, this one and the last one BH posted remind me of those Egyptian angular bows, gonna be quite an accomplishment when you get her shootin', Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2013, 03:37:55 pm »
She's a beaut.  How does it shoot?!  Very inspiring build along thanks

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2013, 03:53:53 pm »
I haven't shot it yet.  I need to thin down the tips first. 

blackhawk

« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2013, 02:00:13 pm »
Well this bow is done and finished and somehow came home with me from tennersee  ;D....ole sneaky clintser worked on it at Dave's in Kentucky and even got my advice on it,and he surprised me with it down at the classic,and gifted it to me  ;D  8) ....thanks pal...I'll try n get some pics up as soon as my classic hangover is over....thanks again pal ;)

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2013, 01:03:21 am »
Clint is a sneaky bas rascal for sure.  ;)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw