Author Topic: Tiller help.  (Read 1867 times)

Offline KShip85

Tiller help.
« on: April 22, 2013, 05:02:15 pm »
Trying my hand at a three piece take down and am having tiller issues.  Don't really love the side profile right now but it is what it is.  All I know is it looks weird to me right now.

Here's a shot braced and then drawn a little.

Sorry they are not the greatest quality.  Best I can do at the moment.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Roy

Re: Tiller help.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 05:13:03 pm »
That doesn't look good, it's doing all the bending at the fades. Looks like you induced a lot of deflex right at the fades. The middle third of the limbs to be reduced.

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 05:29:21 pm »
Same here, mid limbs need some work
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 06:37:26 pm »
I actually think it doesn't look bad, but that deflexed handle (or the angle at which you attached the limbs to the handle) makes it look weird. It probably has low early draw weight, right? If you had more reflex in the outer limbs, or recurved tips, that would have counter balanced the deflexed handle and caused a higher early draw weight.
I agree that the midlimbs need some scraping, but probably not as much as it seems. The are bending at this point, but not much. What does the unbraced (side) profile look like? If there is a lot of reflex in the midlimbs, you might not need to scrape them at all. This is a difficult profile, and requires careful tillering, where the final shape of the bow does not correspond to the universally expected curvature of a drawn bow.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline KShip85

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 04:54:12 pm »
I actually think it doesn't look bad, but that deflexed handle (or the angle at which you attached the limbs to the handle) makes it look weird. It probably has low early draw weight, right? If you had more reflex in the outer limbs, or recurved tips, that would have counter balanced the deflexed handle and caused a higher early draw weight.
I agree that the midlimbs need some scraping, but probably not as much as it seems. The are bending at this point, but not much. What does the unbraced (side) profile look like? If there is a lot of reflex in the midlimbs, you might not need to scrape them at all. This is a difficult profile, and requires careful tillering, where the final shape of the bow does not correspond to the universally expected curvature of a drawn bow.

Yeah, there is quite a bit of reflex mid-limb.  Tried to use my form for perry-reflexing bows for the limbs and ended up with these.  Don't love them by any stretch of the imagination.  I guess I need a new form for making limbs for take-down bows. 

Kip

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 05:00:42 pm »
I think the overall design and pad angle is fine. Give us a face on profile shot of the limbs, maybe you need more taper from mid-limb to the tips. ???  Suggestion for sure. I know I broke a couple bows because I did not taper the limbs enough..!!!! The simplest thing to do especially tillering Laminates. :P
This is one of the biggest draw backs with Newbies including myself, Ya just gata get that taper done right..!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 05:04:46 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 06:40:43 pm »
don't do take downs but i agree with darksoul.  I'm wondering why you have it on such a low brace?  Raising the brace to the appropriate level will change the tiller some because it puts more stress on the outer limbs.  May get it to "looking a little more right."  Just my 2 cents. ;)

Offline KShip85

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 01:46:08 pm »

don't do take downs but i agree with darksoul.  I'm wondering why you have it on such a low brace?  Raising the brace to the appropriate level will change the tiller some because it puts more stress on the outer limbs.  May get it to "looking a little more right."  Just my 2 cents. ;)

Has it braced higher but string stretched out or something.  Came down an inch or so.  Ive done some sanding.  Here's another look plus a front profile view.

Still trying to get the left to match the right.  That little bend doesn't want to move much yet.

Kip

Offline k-hat

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 05:12:23 pm »
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it needs to loosen up some midlimb out.  the outer thirds are def not doing anything.  Mids are bending some, but a lot of the bend does seem to be coming from the inner third.  All of your reflex seems to be midlimb, which as mentioned makes the tiller look weird.  Even with it as is, i would think those limbs oughta "straighten" out by the draw length you have it at.
The front profile is pyramidal, which normally would indicate an even amount of bend throughout the limb (circular tiller), but that's difficult to judge with the reflex as is.  it may come down to taking a pic braced and drawn, then use paint or editor to cut limbs on both images in 3rds or 5ths and see how much movement is in each section when comparing say section one at brace to section one at draw, etc. , then see if the amount of deflection is about the same when comparing sections to each other.  Kind of time consuming, but could help.

That limb I'm on may not hold though ;)