Author Topic: Which do you reduce first?  (Read 3207 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Which do you reduce first?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 01:41:01 pm »
  I like to do it in stages also, I feel like it gets me more in touch with the stave. I use my draw knife to reduce the entire stave and have everything clean and shiny for a better inspection. At this point I reduce the sides to roughly what the bow will look like and then reduce the belly till it flexes a bit, then I go back to the sides and get them closer. All I lay out is the handle area and everything else I go by eye.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 08:15:34 pm »
Like Carson and Badger, I do it in stages.  Draw the whole thing out, and work down the sides leaving it 1/8" or so wider than my lines on each side.  Then I work on the belly till it bends a little at floor tiller.  I then go back to the sides where I can take off the extra width or leave it if I need it for what ever reason.  Sometimes I do need it, due to a knot on the bellies edge or some other somethin' somethin' I missed.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 10:54:43 pm »
Sides first. Then belly. Then sides again if needed so as not to make the limbs too thin. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 04:19:59 am »
Sides first. Then belly. Then sides again if needed so as not to make the limbs too thin. Jawge
I think you expressed it best George.
IMO, it's always in stages like that. (mayby a little less so with lamiantes or boards)
Wouldn't want some poor newbie thinking we completely finish the sides before even taking the bark off :o  ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 12:56:19 pm »
Wouldn't want some poor newbie thinking we completely finish the sides before even taking the bark off :o  ;)
Del

now you tell me.  :P SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline bow101

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 08:04:07 pm »

+2
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 01:00:59 am »
I kind of remove it all at the same time, but i usually shoot the bow before i get the final width taper.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.