Author Topic: basic tools  (Read 8171 times)

Offline stiknstring

Re: basic tools
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 11:50:38 am »
Basics for me....

Farriers Rasp
Chainsaw File
Butcher Knife for scraper

recently acquired some railroad spikes I will use to split staves

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 02:29:48 pm »
It seems like the tools people prefer are pretty individual.

I'm still new, but so far I have:
Drawknives
Machete
4-1 file/rasp
Scraper

I also have some chainsaw files, but they're used for other things, too.

The only tool I've used so far is a drawknife. I've used them for a lot of things for a very long time. I'm comfortable with them. I'm not finished with my bow, though. I'm sure I'll use the others.
Doug from Missouri

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 02:47:23 pm »
I do use power tools now that I've aquired them to hog off the meat initially. But I'll never part with my trusty ole drawknife to chase rings, different rasps to shape, scraper to tiller (scraper is a 7 1/4" circular saw blade) hacksawed into quarters with rolled edge.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Slaughter

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 03:22:25 pm »
Ive already got a couple of good draw knives and several rough files I will be getting a couple different rasps......Cowboy Id be interested to learn how you made your scrapers step by step.
I have lots of saw blades laying around.

Tony

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 07:51:58 pm »
Slaughter scrapers are easy to make, old saw blades, carpenters squares any good thin metal will work.
Try this link.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1237.msg12791.html#msg12791
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 09:38:53 pm »
I dont think you will find a farrier's rasp at Home Depot or Lowes, and it is such a great tool, you should get one. 3 Rivers carries them, that is where I got mine. I imagine a blacksmith equipment dealer would have them, too.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Slaughter

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 11:37:57 pm »
Thanks Dane,

My wife is a store manager at tractor supply company ;D I've got the farriers rasp covered.........

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2007, 12:17:43 am »
Slaughter: That post that DanaM put up is an excellent one. The only reason I hacksawd the blade into peices was to not get it too hot and lose the temper in the steel, everything else is as Roger explains..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.