Author Topic: How straight can I cut out a hickory stave?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Ifrit617

How straight can I cut out a hickory stave?
« on: April 18, 2013, 07:51:58 pm »
Hey guys,

I have a hickory stave that has a slight c curvature when viewed from the back. Probably about 1/2" off center. typically when laying out the stave, I would follow the center of the crown of the stave with the grain.

However, I have seen a bunch of dead straight hickory bows on this site, and know that hickory is exceptionally tension strong, so could I get away with cutting out a straight blank from this stave? I just really don't want to deal with trying to heat treat this side bend out of the stave, cause in m experience, its a bear to do?

Will a straight blank be okay?

Jon

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: How straight can I cut out a hickory stave?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 08:26:25 pm »
Hey guys,

I have a hickory stave that has a slight c curvature when viewed from the back. Probably about 1/2" off center. typically when laying out the stave, I would follow the center of the crown of the stave with the grain.

However, I have seen a bunch of dead straight hickory bows on this site, and know that hickory is exceptionally tension strong, so could I get away with cutting out a straight blank from this stave? I just really don't want to deal with trying to heat treat this side bend out of the stave, cause in m experience, its a bear to do?

Will a straight blank be okay?

Jon
To tell the truth, I really cannot answer "yes" so I am going to say NO. Elm might be a better candidate for such a bow, if only because it is much harder to split.
Wear a face shield when you draw it:o
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Don

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 08:43:17 pm »
I have one ruffed out now the was curved like you say. If I'm reading your post right.
I had to make a jig and steem it out. Came out pretty good.

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:02:20 pm »
Jon I have cut out straight staves from twisted and crooked pieces of Hickory before. I think you will probably still end up with a little "fixing" to do.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 09:22:36 pm »
Jon I have cut out straight staves from twisted and crooked pieces of Hickory before. I think you will probably still end up with a little "fixing" to do.

Yeah I figured as much. Thanks for the help guys.

Jon

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 06:38:57 am »
If the center line is just ½" off, I wouldn't worry about it. Just cut is straight. The grain run off will (in my opinion) be too little to worry about. Unless you want to make a highly stressed design (short, or a warbow). Hickory can take some grain run off, and most boardbows would also have at least ½" of grain run off in one dimension or even two.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 07:49:03 am »
I am finishing up bow number 5 and 6 from the same shag bark log all of them were off a bit. Staves dried with a bow in them sideways. All have been cut out straight and work fine. You might get a problem when you string it up with the tips moving lateraly. That is an easy fix with a heat gun. 8)
Hope it helps,
Greg