Author Topic: Am I doing this right?  (Read 9713 times)

Offline Ozzy

Re: Am I doing this right?
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2013, 11:13:41 pm »
Thanks Dave that makes the pic on my computer I put the circle on make more sense I was scraping the wrong spots  :(
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2013, 11:31:09 pm »
Remember tillering a bow is all about tension.  If there's too much in one spot take it away from another.  Look for the strong/stiff spots.  They WILL be there.  Also, don't forget the tension caused by the oposite limb.  It's all a balancing act with tension.  Seek balance grasshopper.   :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2013, 11:33:15 pm »
Where are you on weight Ozzy?  You have some stiff areas to work on.  I wouldn't remove any wood from the two spots Dave marked with red. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2013, 11:37:56 pm »
Im still good on weight im at the high end with 3" of draw left so I can go down 10# and be good with it

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2013, 11:43:22 pm »
Thin out those stiff areas a little and you will be good to go.  I keep my camera with me when I'm tillering a bow.  I snap a picture of it drawn and then check it on the camera.  I can take my time looking it over and not worry about keeping it at full draw for to long.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh B

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2013, 12:01:11 am »
I am highly impressed!  I would've screwed that one up for sure!  I have a few staves that are comparable to what you started with.  Most of them are the most seasoned staves I have for some reason.  They just keep getting shoved back in the pile year after year.  Excellent work!  Josh

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2013, 12:35:17 am »
Ozzy if 55# isn't your target weight, don't pull it to that.  If I'm looking for a 45# bow as a minimum, I don't draw any farther than #45 through the tillering process until the last 2 or 3 inches.  Hopefully, by then I've worked out all the issues (and usually created more :) )
Reasons being: If you take to the maximum then you maximize the issues creating more set. 

I just like to "ease" into my max draw weight.  Others might disagree and I welcome their opinion.  For my 26" draw I will pull it to 40 or 45 to like 20" then starting working it up if I see no problems.  When I see a problem I try to correct it immediately.  Around 22 inches I make the dicision if I really want a 50 or a 55 pound bow.  Or maybe, I'm not going to keep this bow and might want it to draw 28 inches.  All my options are still open and I haven't over stressed the wood while I'm working out the kinks.  BUT, if I discide on the higher draw weight,  I excercise the bow a lot.  I want to see any flaws that might creep up.  I will probably work the tips down to their near finished width/thickness and roughed the handle out so I can short-draw shoot the bow.  This is my bow boot camp.  I'm training it and tweaking it to it's final goal.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline TRACY

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2013, 07:49:54 pm »
Looking more like a shooter :). I think Dave's eyes and schematics will put you where you want to be.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2013, 08:08:21 pm »
Thanks all

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2013, 08:25:08 pm »
Thanks Clint and Tracy for chiming in.  Being a novice bow builder I find it comforting to get second opinions to my advice.  Don't hesitate to correct me if I start steering Ozzy wrong.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw