Author Topic: Should I be worried?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
Should I be worried?
« on: April 14, 2013, 01:08:33 pm »
I had a stave up in attic drying out, when I pulled it down there are some tiny cracks in the back but they dont go further than that. The wood is laurel oak, should I try using wood glue on the cracks and continue to making the bow normally or should I cut that section off and then continue working on it?

the back

top view,the cracks dont far in or I just cant see it
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Should I be worried?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 01:16:45 pm »
How long is your stave?  If long enough just cut it off below the checks. I'd just draw out the bow trying to avoid the checks. If you can't avoid them keep them centered in the limb tip. You can put super glue in the checks to prevent them from going any further but they shouldn't adversely affect the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Should I be worried?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 03:09:52 pm »
+1 on Pat's advice, very sound!  Same goes for any surface checks further down the limb.  I like to put pencil marks in any drying checks before I start looking for the layout of the bow.  Kinda like driving a car down a road with rocks in it.  You gotta try to get around the rocks and straddle those that you can't get around!

Good luck!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.