Author Topic: hackberry and bamboo????  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Shondy55

hackberry and bamboo????
« on: April 11, 2013, 11:44:08 pm »
hey guys,
     im going to start a hackberry bow soon and i want to back it with bamboo.  is that even a good design? also where do you guys get bamboo? i saw some big pieces for sale at a local gardening store they were about as big around as a coffee mug, would that work? thanks!
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: hackberry and bamboo????
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:55:40 pm »
I could be way off on this, but I'm not sure Hackberry is the best bet for bamboo backing.  Hack makes a fine back itself, but is pretty weak in compression.  Someone may come along who has done it and differ.  Just my thoughts in the abstract.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:18:21 am »
I've never tried it but I don't think that backing it would be the best design for hackberry. It steam bends so easily try a nice recurve instead and save the bamboo for a board that would be more compatible. ;)
SW Utah

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 09:24:16 am »
I have done it once. It worked fine for me but I would tend to agree with the others. Hackberry makes a fine selfbow. Save your self the trouble and just go selfbow. Use the bamboo for another project.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 09:53:53 am »
Just as the others said, Hack is really better suited for a self, plus its a lot less work. Keep the limbs about 2" wide for at least the bottom half then taper it to 3/8" at the nocks and you are set design wise.
A holmgard is also possible but probably not a great idea for one of your first bows.  :)

I've made a couple hack bows that worked fine as selfs (even in my naive early stages of making bows). If I was making another one (which I will do someday soon), I'd go self.

2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."