Author Topic: Red Osier drying question  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Don

Red Osier drying question
« on: April 29, 2013, 03:25:39 pm »
My question doesn't include if it is osier or how to dry or straighten.

What I'm not sure about is how to tell when they are dry enough to make in to arrows?

These were cut in January.  I've peeled, straightened from time to time and kept bundled. They look very good.

Offline twisted hickory

Re: Red Osier drying question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 11:03:41 pm »
My question doesn't include if it is osier or how to dry or straighten.

What I'm not sure about is how to tell when they are dry enough to make in to arrows?

These were cut in January.  I've peeled, straightened from time to time and kept bundled. They look very good.
I put mine near my wood stove or in my boot dryer and weigh them every other day till they don't lose weight then start from there. If you shoot for a 10grains per pound with 125 tip and 28.50 length you will be close with a 50 lb bow. If you go lower than 10 gpp they will have a tendency to be under spined and will not shoot very accurate. At least that is how it works for me.
Hope it helps,
Greg.

Offline Don

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 12:03:14 am »
Thanks Greg. I didn't think about weighing them.
I just did some fine tuning to straightening them.
I'm having to use the heat gun at this point.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 12:15:57 am »
They should be dry enough a month after you peel the bark. If you just peeled the bark was it wet or dry?   After you straighten the shafts go over then each, starting at one end and rotate the shafts while working the heat down the shaft to the other end. You can even add color with the heat. Be careful because it there in any moisture in the shaft it will come out the far end as steam as you temper the shaft.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Don

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 10:24:49 am »
Thanks Pat.
I had bundled them for 1 month then peeled the bark and have been straighten them since.
After a straightening session they were bundled an set next to a dehumidifier.
They may be ready to go.
Thanks again.

Don