Author Topic: Nocks for Narrow Tips- one design, any others?  (Read 3602 times)

Offline cdpbrewer

Nocks for Narrow Tips- one design, any others?
« on: April 12, 2013, 11:12:45 am »
Nocks for skinny tipped pyramid bows has puzzled me.  I distrust cutting nocks into the sides of bows nock widths in the 1/4" range and just don't like the looks of a wad of sinew wrapped around the tip as is shown in one of the TBB.   FWIW, here's pics of one way of doing nocks- on a 35# @ 27", 62" ntn, HBI pyramid:

Triangular cross-section on belly under string to get a teardrop shape of string loops.  "fast flight string" in annotation is wrong- it's six strand D97 padded with some B-50.

(The weird "mid lam" is the remains of a hickory back that splintered and was mostly removed)

Any other ideas on doing narrow nocks or thoughts on the above?

c.d.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Nocks for Narrow Tips- one design, any others?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:01:41 pm »
I use the same style on all my bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:07:53 pm »
Yup, that's the way to go...
Grooves on the side are daft, to prove this brace a bow which has nocks like those illustated and draw along the string on the side of the bow. Then do the same with the bow at full draw (ok you'l need a glamorous assistant to do this for you). If you look at the two lines they are not cosidtent with having one groove on the side... ok sometimes I ease off an area on the side a tad to help the string sit, like you said a sort of triangular section.
Another way to look at it is if you have a groove, the groove is the weakest point thus all the other wood eitherside of the groove is pretty irrelevant and may as well be removed.
I recently did a Hockory Challenge, refurbishing a cheap and cheerful bow, most of the woprk was reshaping the tips and heat treating the belly.
See here for the 'before'
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/big-bow-detail-and-hickory-challenge.html
And here's the 'after'
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/hickory-challenge-result.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 05:38:26 pm »
Nocks look great, always debated about cutting into the tip sides on those skinny ones.......! :o
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 06:43:12 pm »
Hmm, that would explain why my skinny nocks are ugly (always look back at them and say to myself how much i don't like them).  I'll be doing this on future ones, thanks for sharing!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 06:46:36 pm »
I use that style it works great.....however it does make me nervous thinking that the glue might not hold :-\
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 06:52:39 pm »
I use that style it works great.....however it does make me nervous thinking that the glue might not hold :-\
It's not too much of a prob' if the glue doesn't hold!
It happened to me on a rather wet shoot!
The bow was braced and as I was walking along holding it, the bow gave a kick in my hand.
The overlay just slid an inch or two down the limb and was still held in place by the string loop.
it's less likely to slip at full draw as the string is pulling back at neary 90 degrees.
one of the guys joked "Hey Del you want to put a six inch nail in that"
So for a laugh, after I'd reglued it I made a nail out of silver and fitted it into a pre drilled hole through the Waterbuffalo horn tip overlay. When I nex met the guy I said "I took your advice!"
Del

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 07:50:52 pm »
I recently went to this style exclusively except English horn nocks.
I like the look, I like the simplicity and I like the freedom it gives the string to move during draw and following release.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 11:09:57 pm »
With the fine detail in the photo, you sure can't hide any finishing defects!  Looks like you are one of us that loves to get in there with the sandpaper and make everything ship shape and Bristol Fashion!

Nice nockwork, indeed.  If you want to save even a bit more in weight, you can eliminate all of the overlay above where the string lies. Admittedly, it's not as pretty.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 06:33:50 am »
Here's another possibility. It's from a Mollegabet I made. Looks scary and it's tricky to string, but it sure reduces tip weight to a bare minimum.

"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 12:48:04 pm »
Here's another possibility. It's from a Mollegabet I made. Looks scary and it's tricky to string, but it sure reduces tip weight to a bare minimum.

Yeah I'd image that could easilly give you a whack on the nose while stringing.
Nice to see something out of the ordinary.
Del