Author Topic: Handle glue-up ?  (Read 4154 times)

Offline PeteC

Handle glue-up ?
« on: November 04, 2007, 09:10:42 am »
Howdy all,  I recently did a handle glue up on an osage stave ,with osage handle add-on. I drew down a good fitting joint,degreased with acetone,and glued with tite-bond 3. How long should I allow for the glue to cure before tillering? Any comments or experience would be appreciated.Thanks,      God Bless.         PeteC
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline DanaM

Re: Handle glue-up ?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 09:19:42 am »
24 hours should be plenty
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 11:33:41 am »
I agree with Dana. The bottle of glue should give you their recommended curing time.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 11:45:17 am »
Hi,
I always go with 24hrs as a minimum. Even longer is better. Did you use a toothing plane before glue up? If not, it's a good idea, to give the joint more strength. If you tiller your stave to not bend in the handle (which is what you have to do with a handle riser), it should not pop off. I use TB3 for evrything, and have had excellent results.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 12:03:46 pm »
Actually, I believe that the Tite Bond folks recommend smooth, flat gluing surfaces and not toothed or roughed up gluing surfaces.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 12:46:26 pm »
Pat is correct. The surfaces need to be smooth and not toothed for titebond as the glue will shrink slightly.  I have seen more glue failures on another board because one member continually tells people to tooth everything with TB2 and 3.  You do however want to tooth materials when using epoxies such as urac...even though all I usually do is hit with eighty grit.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 08:23:29 pm »
Thanks alot gents.It's been curing a week now,so I'll tiller it tomorrow. I did scratch the joint a little with an old hacksaw blade,hope I did'nt ruin it.We'll know in a while I suppose. Thanks and God Bless,    Pete C
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Shooter

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 09:17:32 pm »
Pete, you should be ok with the bond as long as you got a hairline (or less) mating of the 2 pieces.

It's a good idea to reduce the parent wood before you begin tillering so the add-on sits up on top of the reduction a couple of millimeters.

salut,

Bruce