Author Topic: Need some help with a honey locust stave  (Read 3788 times)

Offline akila

Need some help with a honey locust stave
« on: November 04, 2007, 01:44:02 pm »
Hy guys..i have receve a honey locust log,that wass 4 years dry,and i splitt the log and the hearth  of the log wass damage..anyway this is how the majority of the stave look like..

I know that on locust i should go with a larger ring, but im afraid that this is all thats left good from that log.I have made 5 stave from that log but withoute to much hearth .You think i can just remove the first ring on top of the stave that wass right under the bark,and make the bow with that smaller rings??or i should try to go for a little large ring that is aboute the middle of the stave??its a little unsafe to do that becose it dose not remain to much thickness in the middle of the bow,and i dont know iff i can make a bow withoute glue up a rise on the handdle.Whatt do you guys think???thks in advance..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Need some help with a honey locust stave
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 02:14:59 pm »
You can always add a backing, cloth or paper, if you aren't satisfied with the back ring.  As long as I could get a clean ring, I would use any of those rings for the back.     Pat   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline akila

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 02:26:46 pm »
You can always add a backing, cloth or paper, if you aren't satisfied with the back ring.  As long as I could get a clean ring, I would use any of those rings for the back.     Pat   
yeahh you right... its  just that the first rings are so thinn...i wass thinking that maybe i could go a little deep where thet rings are a little more thick,,but i wass realy hoping that i could make the back of the bow from the first ring....but iff they are so thinn its not a good ideea right???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 03:07:49 pm »
As long as it is sol;id and you don't violate it any, you should be OK with that ring.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline akila

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 05:32:50 am »
so theoreticly if i dont violate the ring i could make my back of the bow with those thinner rings?? :-\....im sorry that i keep asking you guys this but i realy dont know whatt to do.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 07:14:00 am »
Just chase a ring. It might be tough but I've chased thin rings before and it can be done. Just take your time and go slow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline akila

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 12:47:29 pm »
Just chase a ring. It might be tough but I've chased thin rings before and it can be done. Just take your time and go slow
Yess you right but do you think that it safe to chase one of those thinn rings??? wich is right on top of the stave??