Author Topic: Cherry  (Read 1646 times)

Offline bow101

Cherry
« on: March 24, 2013, 10:48:48 pm »
Cut some Bitter cherry today across the street, convenient as "smuck",  Very similiar to choke cherry but tree grows much larger.  Anyone makes bows from it..?

Thx.....101 0ver and out..!
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Tzuridis

Re: Cherry
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:42:33 pm »
I tried to make a bow with cherry but it broke when I was cutting it. I read somewhere on here that  cherry has like a .50 to weight and strength ratio. Or something like that, so Im guessing from what I read its decent or maybe almost good? Im not sure though because Im a noobie bow maker too.

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 11:54:59 pm »
I tried to make a bow with cherry but it broke when I was cutting it. I read somewhere on here that  cherry has like a .50 to weight and strength ratio. Or something like that, so Im guessing from what I read its decent or maybe almost good? Im not sure though because Im a noobie bow maker too.

Depends on the type. I know the stuff I buy at the lumber store is softer than puffs..!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 12:23:26 am »
  I've made 2 choke cherry bows a Time back both backed. One sinew 62" 57# @26" and one raw hide 64" 50# @ 28". The sinewed I gave to a friend the raw hide I sold. Both were ok they never came back.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 02:05:03 am »
Bitter cherry is brittle cherry, BUT made in a prymid style bow about 67-70 long you can get a shooter. I would back it with something light.... paper, clothe...ect.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 09:15:30 am »
Cherry can make a sweet bow, but you have to treat it right. My favorite bow is cherry and its seen a lot of arrows through it. Cherry should really have a backing though.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:06:43 am »
Cherry is the bomb....literally!!!  ;D

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 01:04:20 pm »
Eastern cherry is very different than western bitter cherry.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 01:27:18 pm »
I've made three wild cherry bows. Two blew up right away, and the other one I made for my grandson; 10# at 13" and I backed that one in rawhide! It still shoots fine! It's probably just me but I just can't make a decent bow out of the stuff! It's also true what Vinemaplebows says, the eastern stuff is probably lots different the what we have out West. Anyway, I decided long ago that we have so much good wood here in Washington State that I can avoid the frustration by using something else.             Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 01:30:01 pm »
you live in washington too?! its true we do have a bunch of amazing bow wood! elm, VM, Black Locust, yew, dogwood, casscara, oceanspray, plumb ::) , ect
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 03:19:38 pm »
I probably won't build a bow from cherry from what I read.   :o ::)

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 04:36:43 pm »
Now I don't know what exactly bitter cherry looks like, but if its anything like the cherry I know then its pretty wood. I just can't bring myself not to do something with a pretty stave.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 04:41:07 pm »
Now I don't know what exactly bitter cherry looks like, but if its anything like the cherry I know then its pretty wood. I just can't bring myself not to do something with a pretty stave.
use it for a core lam in a lam bow.
that way it does not do much. another one- make back and belly lams from bamboo and put a cherry spacer in the middle. pretty dang powerful bows can be made that way.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 09:30:36 pm »
use it for a core lam in a lam bow.
that way it does not do much. another one- make back and belly lams from bamboo and put a cherry spacer in the middle. pretty dang powerful bows can be made that way.

Agree, and a good use for the wood!