Author Topic: Hello from NE Indiana!!  (Read 2669 times)

Offline crwjr

Hello from NE Indiana!!
« on: March 20, 2013, 06:40:13 pm »
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and to primitive archery but not to archery.. I have been bow hunting for the last 21 years and I am now 31. I did start with a youth longbow but quickly moved into compound bows. I am now getting interested in Primitive I have even started my own flatbow made from Black Thorny locust. I Chopped (with and axe not saw) down the tree from my property. I then split into staves and am starting to rough out the bow. I have sealed the back and ends of the bow. Im just about ready to let it sit for a few and dry out. So far made with all hand tools and am going to keep it that way. I wish I new how to put pics up from my Iphone but as of now no luck I will work on it. I would love any guidance from anyone And if anything I have said about my progress so far that made you shake your head Sorry but I am new to the bow making. But willing to learn.
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline TRACY

Re: Hello from NE Indiana!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 06:42:20 pm »
Welcome fellow Hoosier!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 07:47:47 pm »
Welcome! You came to the right place for info...that's for sure. Glad to have you!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 07:53:11 pm »
Welcome. You'll learn a lot here, I sure have. I lived for a year outside of Angola on Crooked Lake back in the mid-80's. Must say that is some of the most diversified and beautiful area I've ever been around. One of my favorite places of all time. 101 nice little lakes in that one small county. Great place and great people!!!!
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:15:35 pm »
    welcome, the important thing is have fun, while making chips, shavings.life is to short for anything else.

chuck

Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:55:30 pm »
Welcome from the SE corner of IN. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 10:00:30 pm »
Sounds like you have a good start on bow making ! Goodluck enjoy the addiction of "primitive" archery
I like osage

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 10:23:34 pm »
Welcome crwjr. Sounds like your off to a good start on your bow and if you like to hunt your gonna be thrilled when you take a
deer with an all wood bow that you crafted with your own hands. Black locust is one of my favorite bow woods and will make a
nice, hard hitting bow if well made. Take your time with it, enjoy the process and the wood will teach you a lot. Many people
here to help guide you if you feel you need some help along the way. Keep us posted on your progress.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline crwjr

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 10:55:24 pm »
Thanks for the welcome everyone! And yes there are hundreds of little lakes around me all great fishing. Deer are plentiful also. I have learned a lot in just a little bit of time working with this wood. I would love to get a hold of some great Osage staves I have seen some finished Osage bows and fell in love with them. Dont really know where to look for any around here though. I do have plenty of BL some of my trees are huge and full of mid evil Thorns, I could probably use them for tips they go strait through a tractor tire with ease lol. I cant wait to see my finished bow and to shoot it. 
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 11:02:55 pm »
Welcome CRWJR!  You've come to the right place.  You'll get a lot of help here.  So far, it sounds like you did well on your staves.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 12:51:33 am »
Sounds like your off to good start. The waiting for a stave to dry for your first bow can drive some people to do crazy things though. Dont ask me how i know this. :P 

Wellcome and have fun.
Steve Bennett

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 05:47:23 am »
Thanks for the welcome everyone! And yes there are hundreds of little lakes around me all great fishing. Deer are plentiful also. I have learned a lot in just a little bit of time working with this wood. I would love to get a hold of some great Osage staves I have seen some finished Osage bows and fell in love with them. Dont really know where to look for any around here though. I do have plenty of BL some of my trees are huge and full of mid evil Thorns, I could probably use them for tips they go strait through a tractor tire with ease lol. I cant wait to see my finished bow and to shoot it.
I know there is Osage in that area. Sounds like the tree you describe is honey locust with the large three thorn clusters protruding from the bark(gleditsia triacanthos). Good bow wood in my opinion.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline crwjr

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 06:16:54 am »

I know there is Osage in that area. Sounds like the tree you describe is honey locust with the large three thorn clusters protruding from the bark(gleditsia triacanthos). Good bow wood in my opinion.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info on the trees, they are a bit aggressive and hard to get rid of in area's lol. But the wood is very dense and hard as any ive ever dealt with.  Where would I look for Osage? Like I said I would love to get a limb or two.. Thanks again..
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline crwjr

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 06:24:48 am »
Yup just looked up Honey locust and that is exactly what I have hundreds of growing on my property, Some are very mature trees and a lot of saplings. Kinda a pain to deal with the thorns but a little more reward in the end I guess.
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline okie64

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 08:40:59 am »
Welcome aboard! You will like it here, lots of great guys with tons of knowledge. If you want to post pics from your iphone you will need to download the photobucket app and then copy and paste them on here. Its super easy once you get it figured out. Check in the message board q and a forum if you cant get it fugured out.