Author Topic: Found a jug - marked with CS Maltby - from 19th century?  (Read 2189 times)

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
Found a jug - marked with CS Maltby - from 19th century?
« on: March 15, 2013, 05:09:38 pm »
I found the remains of a jug on my walk today. I knew it was old, and when I researched the markings, it seems it could be from the 1800's. Does anything know anything about this company? The main thing I found out was that CS Maltby made his fortune in the oyster business out of Baltimore, and bottled all kinds of drink as well.

The jug was in two parts, and makes up about 60% of the whole. The pieces were on opposite sides of a two-foot thick tree, both were embedded in the ground. The part with writing on it had a small tree starting to grow inside the curved inner side. Good thing I found it first.

Next week, I think I'll go back with a trowel and a metal detector. There could be more...
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline NimRand

• USAF Retired (Displaced Michigander)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Found a jug - marked with CS Maltby - from 19th century?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 09:05:08 am »
  VERY COOL FIND AND SITE.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 02:33:10 pm »
Awesome! Thanks very much for the info.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline Marks

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 11:28:01 am »
Wow. My wife has recently decided she likes glass bottles. I find neat shaped bottles in the woods all the time and bring em home now. I need to try and research some of them.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 05:19:30 pm »
Nice jug remains and site.  Cool stuff, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)