Author Topic: Help with a ash build  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Hunts with stone

Help with a ash build
« on: March 08, 2013, 11:23:35 am »
This is my 3rd ash bow start. I've got one spot that is just a hair into the first ring. I've layed out the handle @ 5" with 32" limbs leaving a 1" for nocks to be 67" ntn. Average 1-1/2" thick at the tips. I'd like to do a flat bow with a non bending handle. In around 50lb @ 28. Should I narrow this from 2" to 1.75" and move the center line to miss the blemish spot? And how should i lay out the limbs and handle tapers? Or how should i lay this out, thank.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
Re: Help with a ash build
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 01:31:38 pm »
How did your other bows turn out and is this stave from the same log?  Were the other bows the same layout?  Maybe you can answer your own question using that info.  I would think that 1.75" to mid limb and then taper to 1/2 would get you a 50# bow.  With that being said, I think ash wood varies greatly - some I have made are slow and sluggish and others are pretty zippy.  I started with ash because it was available.  The stuff that seasoned longer seemed to make better bows.

If you want to keep it 2" wide you can always back with some rawhide.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:26:49 pm »
How much crown does the back have? If it is a high crown i would probably ignore it or wrap it as the edge will have way less tensoin than the high crown will. If it has a low crown you could trap the back which would remove the trouble spot and also would relieve stress on the belly and result in less set.
Steve Bennett

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 05:32:39 pm »
4" handle, 2" fades. Measure 20" from center each way, make that parallel 2" wide, straight taper to 1/2" wide tips from there. Thats not much of a blemish, I would ignore it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 06:30:36 pm »
Pearly hit it on the head,  although depending on the density of the Ash I might go 1.75 " wide and start the taper 15" out.  Less saftey margin, but at 67 ntn with with decent tillering I think you'd be fine.  Ash really like heat tempering IMO.  Stave looks really nice.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 06:48:52 pm »
Thanks for the Replies.  There is little crown on it . Good size tree like 12-14". I now tillering is key but 2" . Will that stand better chance of less set and string follow? I just got a heat gun but i'll get that temper question out later. I gotta go slow on this one broke last two. So if you all don't mind me asking for some help. Thanks Glenn

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 07:08:39 pm »
2" is good for ash. By the time you clean up the edges more and sand you will knock another 1/16 off that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 08:51:13 pm »
If that blemish worries you leave a little bump of wood around it on the side.  The grain probably flows around it so you could just follow that. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 09:05:12 pm »
Ok will do. Thanks

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 06:44:28 pm »
Ok got this Ruffed in. It will be 67 ntn 2" at widest 14 1/2 " from there tappered to 1/2" . 2" taper at the fades 1 1/4" by 1 1/4"  5" handle. There is a knot in handle and fade. I 'm not sure there is Enough working limb they are 30 inches from the face out and 32" from handle end. How should I work in the belly taper. And last When and how to temper.

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 06:46:06 pm »
Here is some pic's