Author Topic: Horn beam vers. Hickory  (Read 9349 times)

CHUCKER

Horn beam vers. Hickory
« on: November 02, 2007, 02:20:35 pm »
I have not yet built a self bow from horn beam and was wondering about its rating. All things being equal in bow size exc. does it compare well with Hickory. I have trees from 3" to 12" in horn beam to chose from. Whats your opinion?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Horn beam vers. Hickory
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 02:59:23 pm »
Are your trees American hornbeam or Hop hornbeam.  Hop hornbeam has a somewhat shaggy bark and I believe is similar to hickory. American hornbeam will make a bow but isn't as good of a bow wood as Hop hornbeam.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 03:20:29 pm »
I prefer the hop hornbeam to hickory mainly because I have a bit of a humidity problem where I live and the hhb doesn't seem to be as badly affected by moisture as the hickory. If you live in a very dry climate I would say it is a toss up. Steve

jamie

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 06:58:33 pm »
im surprised to hear you say that steve. i found that it was just as much a sponge as hickory. great wood but still absorbs moisture from what i can tell. peace

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 09:47:36 pm »
 I have to agree with Jamie.I have an ash backed Hophorn beam stave I had to put in the hot box.It was 90% tillered when I left it in the shop for a week.Then it turned into a noodle.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 11:42:42 pm »
'bout the same as hickory. jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 03:20:26 am »
      The only thing I have really noticed about my hornbeam bows is that they just seem to hold their draw weight better and take less set. I have probably done about 1/2 dozen hornbeam bows this year and just normal set on all of them, with my hickory bows it seems a few days of damp weather and they drop several pounds in draw weight and one full draw pull might add 2" of set. Mine has mostly been comming from canada and I have been very happy with it, never had any luck with hickory where I live on the coast, we have very damp evenings here and about 60% days which isnt too bad. Steve

Offline heavybow

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 08:58:40 am »
I think hop horn been is tougth. got 115@ flight bow shooting 500 grain arrows had no problems. marlon

CHUCKER

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 11:08:35 am »
Its the Hop Hornbeam. I have a friend with a Sugar bush (Maple grove) that has a lot of them he is removing for fire wood. He is leaving the better looking trees for me to chose from. Some of these trees twist at about a 1 in 4 pitch.
Thanks all for the info. I am hoping for a new selfbow to go with the the new self arrows. I intend to build these with material gatghered from a 5 mile radius of my front door. Now the gathering part is done, time to get to work!

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 11:39:55 am »
Hornbeam is better wood than hickory in my opinion. It holds reflex better as Steve said.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....