Author Topic: Winged Elm Lever bow?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline DavidV

Winged Elm Lever bow?
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:25:34 pm »
Are there certain bow designs that would be well suited to high crowned staves? I recall hearing that Holmegaard bows were made from smaller trees but I may be out of my mind since I've only seen really wide limbed ones.

The reason I ask is I have a winged elm stave and I'd like to try a lever bow for the first time.

(Recently learned that Holmegaard bows weren't lever bows)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:38:04 pm by DavidV »
Springfield, MO

Offline Dictionary

Re: Best Design for High Crown?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:48:56 pm »
I can't answer regarding the Holmegaard design....but check out Druid's bows. All of his bows are made from high crowned peices of wood that pull exceptionally high draw weights. Most of them have the same thing in common......Length(above 5 feet) and bend throughout their length.

What size tree was it?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline DavidV

Re: Best Design for High Crown?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:54:00 pm »
It was 3" on the big end and 1 1/2" at the small end but it's 75" long and I can cut it down a little.
Springfield, MO

Offline DavidV

Re: Winged Elm Lever bow?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 11:45:02 pm »
I'm going to go ahead with it, what do you think about these specs?
68" overall
12" levers
8" handle and fades
18" working limb

I'm shooting for around 40# at 28"
Springfield, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 11:52:37 pm »
I've only built a few bows with elm but was very impressed with it as a selfbow. You should be able to achieve your goal easily. Be sure to keep the belly dead flat. That will relieve some of the high crown stresses. Elm reacts well to heat treating too.
 Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the original Holmy or Molli bows were elm anyway.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DavidV

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 04:24:19 pm »
I started roughing it down today, it has alot narrower limbs than most I've seen but hopefully it'll be okay. Elm is a hard wood to work because of the interlocking fibers.
Springfield, MO