Author Topic: Wood Moves  (Read 2239 times)

Offline DavidV

Wood Moves
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:31:40 pm »
I started roughing out a sapling bow from a 2" dia. sassafrass stave yesterday. I wasn't expecting much from it so I kept it 72" long and would have gone for 30-35#. I layed it out with the string going through the handle and figured this would be easy enough. Decrowned the back and glued on a thin paper backing, then roughed it out to near finished dimensions and put it away for the night.

This morning I get up to find that both limbs are bowed about 3 inches from where they wereand it has an extra inch of backset. I was really surprised because it didn't feel green when I was working on it, I cut it in November so I wasn't expecting it to be seasoned.
Springfield, MO

Offline randman

Re: Wood Moves
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 04:25:35 pm »
It's amazing how much wood will move when you remove the opposing forces that will hold it in place. I had some nice straight pieces of American Hornbeam (my first experience with this wood) that I made the mistake of debarking and roughing to shape while freshly cut (something I do routinely with vine maple). Now I have some pieces of wood that look like a Korean Crab bow they have reflexed so much. Lesson learned with Hornbeam: Let it season for a while in the round and with the bark on. Some woods are not so severe and some will some will completely turn round on themselves.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 04:33:43 pm »
Yep some times even dry wood will move because the wood relaxes when you take some away
I like osage

Offline DavidV

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 04:37:43 pm »
Does anyone have a way to fix it or is it firewood? I'd be tempted to steam it but it already has a backing.
Springfield, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 04:42:09 pm »
You can try heat to straighten it out. I'd get it close to bow size first though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 04:54:17 pm »
Try steam straightning it
I like osage

Offline DavidV

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 07:03:06 pm »
I ended up taking off a little more wood then putting it under some weights to straighten it out. If I can get it to hold that way it'll be great. I'll work on my other bows in the mean time.
Springfield, MO