Author Topic: pin nocks  (Read 6458 times)

Offline randman

Re: pin nocks
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 04:46:35 am »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Hammerstone. Now I can never look at them the same again................
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 05:15:26 am »
I don't use them much As I like to keep the string on the bow when its unstrung... with pin knocks the string tends to fall off and i just get annoyed
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Holten101

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 05:29:16 am »
I never use pin nocks. I tend to end up with cordage wraped knocks....they are primitive, easy to make and doesn't interfer with the bows lines. Maybe I should try pin nocks:-)

Cheers

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 09:42:07 am »
Hey Hammerstone, maybe we should change the name to "Eff-ewe" knocks ,just as a conversation starter . See how long it is before  curiosity gets the better of the new guys and they have to ask. >:D

Offline Matt A

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 02:07:08 am »
clever lol

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 12:09:29 pm »
i particularly like the derogatory hand gesture they imply,the one i use a lot while driving like a life long country boy.
:laugh: :laugh:  That's a good one.  I like pin nocks more and more.  Four little cuts on the band saw and some smoothing up with the round file - done.  So much simpler than messing around with a bunch of overlays. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline randman

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 04:42:27 pm »
Hey Hammerstone, maybe we should change the name to "Eff-ewe" knocks ,just as a conversation starter .

Or for the Osage guys, they could call them "F-Yew" nocks  ;)

They are so easy to make. On mine I use my hand pull saw to cut the diagonals on the side (down to the depth) and then on the backside I jab the point of a knife blade into the back at the depth of the nock and the waste just split-pops off leaving the pin nock shape. Little clean up and rounding with a file and sand paper and yer done.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 05:52:36 pm »
When I first started I thought "pin nocks are lame"  then I started making them and now they are my favorite.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Mickey

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 06:31:31 pm »
The smallest pin nocks i have seen/ used were on a bow built by the late David Mims out of Misissippi on a bow he made for me I named "Twiggy". They were minuscule, and i was sure everytime I drew the bow, the string would fly off, but it never did. If you keep back issues of PA check out the June/July 10 issue vol 18-3 for an article called " Ain't Much of  a Bow".

Offline DuBois

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 09:53:31 pm »
I don't use them much As I like to keep the string on the bow when its unstrung... with pin knocks the string tends to fall off and i just get annoyed

Yeah, I was wondering about this. I love the idea of pin nocks, but do you have to remove the string when not braced?

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 12:06:50 am »
Mickey- I remember that article very well!
DuBois -Depends on the style /design. I make a string keeper for most of my bows , but some of the Molly(ish ) don't need them depending on where the transition ison the lever section.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 10:36:25 am »
    There fine on most hard woods but I had 2 ,one crack ,one break off white wood bows (hickory,slippery elm).
  There is on benfit ,other that makeing the tips lighter to dedue hand shock.
  But there's other ways of keeping the right tip weight other than pin nocks to dedue hand shock. Good tillering makeing sure one limb dos'nt finish before the other, keeping the last 4 inch of your tip light enough ,putyour tips don't bend..
  I'm not saying don't use them by all means build bows the ways you like. But I keep them on the stout side. Or you might be shorting a bow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline randman

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 04:34:26 pm »
I always use a loop on top, tied on bowyers knot on the bottom (never can get the length right with 2 loops) so I don't have the string falling off problem even with pin nocks.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 05:39:16 pm »

You dont hafta use em on both ends. :)

Mickey,
Nice to see you sneakin back in now n then.