Author Topic: Nice ERC  (Read 3244 times)

blackhawk

Re: Nice ERC
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 02:19:30 pm »
When the heartwood is the desired prize with ERC it is best to cut it out and get more bang for your buck,and you will get less waste,and won't risk dinging it up....and if you store it indoors you don't have to worry about bugs in most cases ....I store mine inside and never once have had a bug issue....ERC and yew are the only two woods I consider best to cut out instead of splitting.

gutpile

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 02:46:32 pm »
Huh that odd cause I always split mine..most split straight as an arrow too..I have about 8 good staves....80 inch long too...I would split them so they can dry..they aren't gonna dry hardly any in log form and sealed..js..gut

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 02:54:05 pm »
Grady, I'm not sure about drying time. Someone else may chime in. I've never worked it before.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

gutpile

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 11:23:52 am »
ERC dries as good as any wood , hickory being the most hydroscoptic IMO..never going below 15% unless hot boxed in the south....I would certainly split those logs man or they are not gonna dry..you can bet on that....look down south we make split rail fences and the majority are out of ERC...those logs look like they will split straight as an arrow..imo.I would just quarter them and leave them for 3 months ..then maybe split one of the quarters if there is enough and rough out..erc is very soft wood too...so be careful when hoggin off your excess wood...gut