Author Topic: input on cordless drill and driver  (Read 2285 times)

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
input on cordless drill and driver
« on: March 02, 2013, 09:55:18 pm »
I am in the market to get a new cordless drill and a hammer driver.........anybody have any good recommendations for what brands work best?  I am looking for 18 volt +.  Wondering if the lithium battery is really better?  Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

James
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline osage outlaw

Re: input on cordless drill and driver
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:11:31 pm »
The wife got me a Black and Decker 18v Lithium drill for Christmas.  I like it.  It is a lot lighter than the Nicad drills and packs more of a punch.  I don't do any major work with mine, just weekend projects here and there.  I have had good luck with the B&D cordless tools.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bigpapa

• all the senorita's call me bigpapa
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 10:19:18 pm »
I've used a bunch of different ones through my work.  Dewalts are real good and durable, batteries are a little heavy. The Milwaukees are good, light battery and fast charge, but I find that that spin up at start is too fast and I either strip the head or spin off of it. My favorites are my Bosch, pocket driver and impact. lithium batteries last a long time, and charge quick. I built a 8x16 foot above ground dog kennel with three inch deck screws and they never missed a lick.   
Just my two cents. Lol.
Our only limitations in life are the ones we put on ourselves!
Dream your dreams, and fly like the eagles!

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 11:14:22 pm »
I have 2 Ryobis,,one is 8 years old,still works great.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 11:49:23 pm »
We use cordless drills/ teck guns all day at work. For the money I would say dewalt is the best. Makita is #2. We abuse these things, charge in hot and cold, drop off ladders you name it. These two take it the best.

Offline beetlebailey1977

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:15:01 am »
Ok good input fellows....I have Black and Decker 18 volt that I have had since 2003.  Just tired over buying new batteries for them.  The last two batteries I bought less than 2 years ago and they do not hold a charge for long at all.  No where near as good as the first set that came with them.  I have eyed the Dewalt's has those at one of my jobs and I liked them a lot.  I have been told by a co worker to check out the makitas also.  I do like the lightness of the lithium batteries.
Happy hunting to all!

Offline KShip85

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 01:52:42 am »
Ive got a porter cable multi tool set with the nicad batteries.  I like the drill and impact driver, but the sawsall and skill saw can eat a charge pretty quick.  Perhaps my favorite thing about the set is that the batteries are interchangeable with the lithium ones they have.  Nice to be able to use either on the same tool kit.  Price is very reasonable too.  We've used all sorts of drills, Milwaukee hitachi dewalt and I have liked the porter cables just as much.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 09:31:30 am »
If you go with the lithium batteries, remember that you don't treat them the same as the Nicad.  My owners manual said to never let them get fully drained and recommended charging them after every use.  It said you can store the battery on the charger all the time if you want.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 09:52:32 am »
i have two dewalt 18 volt drills.one is a hammer drill.they are a little on the heavy side,but work really well.the best thing i have gotten lately is a bosch 14 volt small impact gun.i use it more than anything and a charge lasts forever.it is very handy.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline beetlebailey1977

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 02:56:10 pm »
Thanks fellows......good input.
Happy hunting to all!

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 06:09:52 pm »
  I  am  very  hard on tools,they  have  to perform that's  it,,to date  Milwaukee 28v drill has  been a true work horse, but  very,very heavy!! I  don't like the skill saw that came w\the kit  it's backward  or left handed ,,I don't understand,,but any way???   my  favorite  is  the  porter cable 18v  hands down !!!  this  thing sinks  a  tapcon  like it's soft pine  and  get  this  it's  not  even  a  hammer drill!!!!!!!!  believe me when I  tell  you,,  these  tools  get  passed  around 5 guys like the only tramp in town!!!!!  good  luck  JeffW

Offline beetlebailey1977

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 09:38:53 pm »
Thanks for the help....I went with the dewalt 20 volt lithium.  Got the drill and driver compact set.  Very nice set and not bad for the money.  They are very light compared to the nicad B and D set I have.
Happy hunting to all!