Author Topic: Cross bow?  (Read 996 times)

Offline tgtmatt

Cross bow?
« on: March 05, 2013, 10:39:55 pm »
How do you brace a primitive crossbow

I have a 40" redoak prod. Stole this guys idea:P "The prod is 40" overall, 39" ntn, 1 1/2" Wide for the middle 8", and tapers on the bottom edge of the bow to 3/4" wide tips, leaving the top edge flat. It is 3/4" thick in the middle 8" and it tapers to 1/2" thick at tips."

There is no way I can even think about bracing this or even trying to tiller it... Any ideas?

I'm thinking you have to use other ropes to pull the prod while you brace it but I would like some confirmation.

Offline Dauntless

Re: Cross bow?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:18:12 pm »
I think the super powerful crossbow guys make a long string, draw the bow with it and then brace with the normal string.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline bigpapa

• all the senorita's call me bigpapa
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 03:12:45 am »
Hope you get some hits on this. Cause I have one made up except for the bow and put it on hold till I came up with a better design than the one I have in my plans. It would be a pretty light weight I think.
Our only limitations in life are the ones we put on ourselves!
Dream your dreams, and fly like the eagles!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 09:28:01 am »
Put one string loop on, place the butt on the floor and lean down with body weight on the tips.
Ask your glamourous assistant :-* to put the other string loop on the nock.
Or it the bow uses a bending lever. make up a b'stard string with big loops to sit just inboard of nocks. Thread the real sting through/under the big loops so you can get b'stard string off afterwards. Cock the bow on the b'tard string, hook on the real string, let the bow down and remove the b'stard string.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 01:24:50 pm »
I am with Dauntless on this one. Seems to be the safest and easiest way. Just cock the long string on the butt of the crossbow.

It is similiar to stringing a modern recurve using a bow stringer
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 01:36:51 pm »
Thanks guys, the prod seems so thick and does not seem like it could possibly bend at this point but I've shaped it up to the dimensions on this build (http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/reply/124625/t/Re-A-Simple-Crossbow.html#.USLsyqXFUfh) Maybe I'm just so darn weak and not expecting it to be so strong.