Author Topic: Tiller Help (deflex issue)  (Read 1020 times)

Offline allpowerfulguru

Tiller Help (deflex issue)
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:05:55 pm »
Hello gentlemen, (and the occasional lady). I am working on my first full weight bow from a stave. It started out as a Sugarberry tree and is now a 1 5/8 inch wide 65 inch ntn and pulling 50lbs as 24 inches. I am shooting for 45-50 lbs at 28  inches and everything was going well until I hit about 20 inches of pull. Then some deflex that I had previously heated out returned and now one limb is sitting at about 3 1/2 inches of string follow while the other is at about 1 inch. Now I don't think that its set, because the deflexed limb looks a little stiff coming out of the fades.

My question is can I heat bend the limb back into compliance, or will I have to just finish it out and get what I get? Or am I just completely wrong?
Some pics might help.
I will also take any tillering advice from a more experienced eye. Thanks for any help, Matt

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Tiller Help (deflex issue)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 08:19:14 pm »
The limb on the right has a large flat spot and a hinge forming at the tip. Is that the limb taking extra set by chance?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 09:06:05 pm »
I've had poor success at trying to remove set and fix tiller issues with heat.
Gordon

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 09:15:11 pm »
Make yourself a gizmo and lock that string in at about 14-16 inches and you'll see what PD is talkin about.

Offline allpowerfulguru

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:11:43 am »
Yeah, I can see that flat spot in the right limb now that you mention it. I was focusing so much on the left limb (deflexed limb) that I neglected the right limb. That should be easily corrected with a gizmo. As far as the the left limb is concerned, I was afraid that it might be too late. Oh well, will do the best I can with it. I have 4 more Sugarberry staves from this tree so hopefully I can get that deflex wrangled early in the next bow. Thanks for the help guys.