Author Topic: Shrub ID  (Read 1091 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Shrub ID
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:34:35 pm »
Anybody have a clue as what this could be?  They were planted near a retaining wall many years ago where I work.  I've been looking at some straight pieces lately and was wondering if they would make a bow.  I cut down a piece tonight.  It feels pretty dense.  I think I'll stand it in the corner of my office and let it dry for a while.  I sealed the ends but didn't know if I should peal the bark off or not?  Any thoughts as to what it is?  It does hold most of its leaves during the winter.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Re: Shrub ID
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 08:40:46 pm »
I don't know much about the ornamental stuff.  I've seen that planted before and always thought it was some type of viburnum.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 09:40:37 pm »
It's leather leaf viburnum. I've had a couple small pieces for pens and it seemed pretty dense. I'd say give it a go and make sure to report back here.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 10:08:01 pm »
Good job guys. I found this today, its an excellent source with great descriptive properties of Shrubs, Tress,...etc........ Although it's for the North West, but then agian many plants of the same family also grow else where in North America.
http://www.nwplants.com/business/catalog/index.html
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell