Author Topic: Straight or Radial Fletch  (Read 4018 times)

Offline bow101

Re: Straight or Radial Fletch
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 06:49:20 pm »
I have another Question..? Should the radial be so the arrow goes in towards the arrow rest or outward.?

Just  because I'm bored, lets get rid of the word radial  in this context. It doesn't apply. At any given point on the fletching, all the forms mentioned above have that part of the  feather standing  radially from the shaft--along a radius from the center.
As far as any means of spinning the arrow, what is gained is an averaging of any tendency of the arrow  to fly a curve in a radial direction (radial does apply here, meaning  at 90 degrees to the axis of the shaft.

Rifle  bullets are stabilized by spinning, but the longer the projectile, the faster the rate of  spin needed  to stabilize it.  An arrow shaft would have to rotate  at something like one turn for every 5/8 inch of forward motion  to stabilize the way a bullet  does. If you are having a hard time swallowing that, google George Greenhill and rifling, or go here, http://www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes%5CTECH%20NOTE%20110%20PROJECTILE%20WT%20vs%20TWIST%20120725%20Rev%200%20%28Final%29.pdf
and do the math.

End of current pedantry.

Jim

Where did my question warp this thread. "Should the radial be so the arrow goes in towards the arrow rest or outward.?..
101 over and out
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:18:38 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Straight or Radial Fletch
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 03:17:23 pm »
  I've always liked stiff primarys with as much swists as possable.
  More poundage the bow (quicker the arrow),big head, less center shot the bow. the higher,stiffed your feathers and the more swist needed for your arrow to recover quicker when flexing around the bow.
  I JUST LIKE TO SEE THE ARROW SWIST DOWN RANGE INTO THE BUCK.

Even with straight fleching jig the feather has a R,L natural swist and will swist that way.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING