Author Topic: tip over lay question?  (Read 3247 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: tip over lay question?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 08:23:27 pm »
Diddo....Smooth on or super glue with no failures.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 09:25:47 pm »
Pearl..............How does " dunk mine in water" effect the glue ??  Please explain
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 09:32:28 pm »
Pearl..............How does " dunk mine in water" effect the glue ??  Please explain

Can't explain the science. The glue hardens instantly. At least my loctite does. Pretty cool. My buddy Marty showed me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 09:39:52 pm »
I use a bottle of PAppy's hard to get ultra secret Super Glue on all my tips.  Never had one fail yet.  I have knocked a few tips off by wacking them on the floor or a rock or something else hard, but that was because I never seem to follow Pappy's advice on putting tip overlays on the right way.   :D
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 08:05:54 am »

I like medium thickness super glue.  I have started shaping within 20 mins.

Likewise. I dunk mine in water and start much faster than slow poke Carson's 20 minutes.

Put a squirt of accelerator on one side, then you're really cookin with gas ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 08:32:35 am »
I don't do angle tip overlays but use super glue on all of mine and most around the shop does also,no problems. I use to use TB3 and had a few mishaps ,plus takes to long before you can work them.Yall know what a hurry I get in building bows. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DuBois

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 08:39:23 am »

Can't explain the science. The glue hardens instantly. At least my loctite does. Pretty cool. My buddy Marty showed me.

On an interesting side note, I used some acrylic hobby paint from wally world a few weeks back that I mixed in with liquid gorilla super glue and sawdust to fill a hole and it hardened in like 45 seconds. I was really hustling to get the hole done!

I just tried my first overlays and used 5 min. epoxy so I'm glad to see at least one epoxy user ::)

Offline snag

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 12:47:46 pm »
I was told about a company, Starbond, by a glass bow bowyer. They have several types of glue. One of them is said to be 4 times stronger than regular superglue. Just thought I'd pass this along.
David
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 12:49:53 pm »
thx's for all the replies 8)
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.