Author Topic: Toying with bow building buisness!?  (Read 9636 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Toying with bow building buisness!?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 08:31:26 pm »
Myself and some of the other guys have thrown the idea around and the whole idea is to make a very affordable vacation destination for those interested in primitive skills, primarily archery related. I know when I was married and the kids were growing up we were always on the look out for things we could do on vacations. The bottom line was to feel relaxed, provide the kids with some new memorable experinces, give the wife something she would enjoy without cleaning up the campsight and cooking all the time. A mild climate like we have here in Ca and all year long would be pleaseant. Steve

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 04:31:53 pm »
Hmmm! Good point Steve.  I think I will make up a bunch of standard bows with draw lengths from 25 - 32" long for the English longbows and warbow and varying weights and then sell them at events arround area like SCA events or other archery related places.  But also take custom orders too for that special purchase at events for customers who wants something built just for them.  ;D If I get to many orders I will just put them on the waiting list.

Just need to buy a table saw then and I should be ready to go. Think I know of a couple hardwood lumber yards that have some good hickory in the area. Just need to get down to them. Anyone know what make and type of table saw I should be looking for? How about saw blade?

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline PaulP

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 09:37:16 pm »
Sounds like fun.   Let me know how it goes.

Paul

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 05:50:08 pm »
I sell several bows a year but I wouldn't call it a business, more of a hobby. I don't think there's much of a market for heavy draw weight bows like your talking about. Most of the bows I sell are 45 to 55#@28" But good luck if you decide to go for it.  :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 09:52:35 pm »
No worries! Most of the bows I will be building will be in the 45-50# range with some lower and some higher in draw weights. I will only make the really heavy ones on demand. Cant wait for things to settle down arround here so I can get started.

Decided the inner laminate will no longer be satinwood or if I include it it will be really thin. That wood takes way too much set and really slows down a laminated bow.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 02:07:41 am »
Hi Dave,

You should talk to Curt Brisky at: curtis.brisky@comcast.net or do a search on the web for Brisky Bows.  Curt does these great bowmaking seminars at what I consider very reasonable prices.  Seems like a good way to break into the business.  He has bows and arrows for sale, and does 1/2 dozen students at a time to each create a bow in a weekend.  He has the staves roughed out and seasoned, and enough benches for everyone.  So I guess it's really a tillering class.  Not only do you get to make your own bow, but you get to hear his advice on tillering the others.  I tried to stay a step behind everyone else, and let them make some of the mistakes!

A few of his friends also stop by for the fun and help out.  One guy was even making all our strings for us.  As a bonus, Curt is not too far away - he is in Ferndale.  Whidbey Island is beautiful!  I'll sign up for your first class!

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 04:20:26 am »
Hi,  I seem to remember reading that there is an excise tax on the commercial manufactoring of archery equipment.  You should look into the current regulations and be sure to pay the necessary fee(s), so the feds don't come knocking on your door.

Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 03:31:51 pm »
I will check it out! No problem. Since I already have one buisness whats a few more taxes, eh?  :-[

David T

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 08:31:01 pm »
Have you considered a line of no scent hunting soaps and/or detegerents?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 09:48:15 pm »
I will check it out! No problem. Since I already have one buisness whats a few more taxes, eh?  :-[

David T :D :D :D :D Surprise, surprise.............bob

Offline Ghost Dog

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 01:22:48 am »
If you are passionate about it, do it. Even master bowyers like John Strunk only sell  a couple of bows a month, so don't expect a lot of business, but do expect to have a lot of fun and make some great friends along the way.
With a fine osage selfbow, my elkhide quiver filled with cedar arrows fletched with turkey, and with the invitation of the forest, I am about as happy as a man can be.

Far East Archer

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 08:13:42 am »
Hello D. Tiller,

I think thats a great idea,would help a lot to keep the hobby going if you get some cash from it. ;D Yeah your idea of a combination of sell on request and stock pre-made bows sounds good. I have already started getting ready for this myself to save some bucks up for college and for plane tickets. As they said, even if its just a few bows a month, that still some good money if your selling for $200+ Are you going to sell locally or on the net? Since no one here is really interested in archery except for some hunters in the military that come to the range, I plan on selling in mainland Japan on the net either by e bay (don't really want to use e bay but...) or if my computer teacher is still here, I will make an online website. Sticking with just a few designs sounds good, then when you master them adding more styles shouldn't be too much of a problem.. Have fun!!! :)

-Alex

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 03:40:50 pm »
Thanks guys! Yep, looking forward to working on the bows. Untill my buisness partner gets through surgery its on hold for now. But will be looking to work on it in the near future.

Now, cool item I just found out, Do not use a center lam of satinwood arround a 1/4" thick in your bows. Turns out this wood sucks in both compresion and tension. Will cause the bow to take an immediate set of almost two inches. Bummer for me! Made a couple bows this way and they shoot ok but took too much set right off the tillering board.  From now on only Hickory for a backing and a hardwood belly. I'm now working with Hickory/sallepe combo and will let ya all know how it comes out!

David T