Author Topic: Howdy  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Mikeeeeeeeeee

Howdy
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:18:51 pm »
Howdy all. I'm new to this all, but enjoying it. I began my first bow project this week. I felled a nice straight shagbark hickory and made some staves.
I have reduced one to a blank and it is sitting in the bedroom drying.
How long should I let it sit?
I live in Central Alabama, near Eclectic.
Anyone near me?

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Howdy
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:25:06 pm »
Hickory is famous for taking it's very very sweet time drying out.  In order to make that up to you, hickory is pert' near impossible to break.  It may hinge horribly from bad tillering, but you really have to heap on the abuse to break it. 

I'd recommend you get the back of the bow sealed, no sense allowing drying checks to start cracking up a nice piece of wood.  Then, just wait a month.  if you are down to near bow dimensions, it should be pretty close to dried out.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 11:31:11 pm »
    welcome, I really hate to say this, but theres no quick answer and I'm sure someone w/more knowledge
 will speak up. Until than try the search option,I've been trying it out lately, very helpful.
     again welcome to pa

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 11:39:48 pm »
Welcome. Hickory is awesome wood, i love it. While your waiting for your stave to dry, pick up a a hickory board.just to get your feet wet, and practice tillering. Or you can vist the trading post on here and see if you can trade with someone for a seasoned stave.

Offline Mikeeeeeeeeee

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 12:06:06 pm »
What would be a good choice for a sealant for the back of the blank?

Offline bobbykelley

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 12:12:05 pm »
Welcome. As for what to use for a seal, you can get some polyurethane but I've seen others say paint or glue works.
I make mistakes but I learn.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 12:40:19 pm »
Shellac because it seals everything and is easy to remove if needed just using denatured alcohol. Plus its a natural substance thats made from some bugs exoskeletons.   Welcome.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 04:53:45 pm »
Welcome to PA
Yes get the back and ends sealed with shellac or something ,Then let it set for 3-4 weeks then you can start !
Build you a reflex form and get yourself a heat gun , and some other tools while you wait !
Have fun !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline dwardo

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 05:49:30 pm »
Whilst your pondering how long it takes to dry wood as we all do, go rough out all of the other staves ;) By then the first will be near dry and the rest will catch you up :)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 09:56:12 pm »
Welcome to the addiction.  You have come to the right place for bow building advice.  There are some really knowledgeable folks on here to help you get going.  Get some kind of scale to weigh that hickory stave.  When it stops loosing weight for four or five days in a row - it will be dry enough to work.   I am in Livingston, Alabama.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Mikeeeeeeeeee

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 10:13:21 pm »
Glad to be here. Going scouting for next year in the morning, then I have another log to split, and then work down the other staves to blanks.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 10:21:23 pm »
Mikeeee, keep your eyes peeled after the next big storm.  I bet y'all have lots of pecan trees in your area.  You know how those things tend to drop big limbs?  Some of the best bows that I have made so far have been from pecan.  It's just like hickory, but maybe a little easier to work.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Mikeeeeeeeeee

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 10:34:26 pm »
Howard, I will do that.
I got home from scouting today and roughed out a second blank.
I have another log with the ends painted. I may split it inthe coming weeks.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 11:16:08 pm »
Hey Mikeeeeee,
All good advise here. I use shellac as well to seal the back, and wood or elmers glue on the ends. Hickory is tough wood. Like Bowman said, get a hickory board and make a bow, it's great practice, also buy a set of Bowyers Bibles, you'll be glad you did.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250