Author Topic: i feel stupid  (Read 5188 times)

hunterman

i feel stupid
« on: October 25, 2007, 02:07:23 pm »
bought VII of the bowyers bible yesterday and im already confused  ::).  what are conventional, decrowned, bias and edge ring cross sections??? what the bloody hell does decrowned mean anyways.  ???

Offline snedeker

Re: i feel stupid
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 02:31:30 pm »
Conventional means its the natural ring surface of the stave.  Decrowned means it was from small diameter tree stave with a lot of curcature, so you flatten it out.  Bias ring orientation means if you look at what will be the back, the edges of rings are vertical, parralel to each other while at the end of the piece they area at a 45 degree angle.  Edge ring is like bias but at the end, the edges of the rings are perpendicular to the back and belly

Dave
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 02:33:20 pm by snedeker »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 02:54:50 pm »
Clear as mud eh ;D, I struggled with this also, study the diagrams it will finally click
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 02:59:05 pm »
I think there are better explanations and diagrams in volume one if I remember correctly.  Hard to say since I am at work and don't have them with me though.

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 03:33:31 pm »
Hunterman, you will have a lot of "ah-ha" moments in this hobby. I know I have, and will continue to have. Relax and it will come to you as it comes to you. This site is the best single resource you can possible find, too.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 04:42:48 pm »
Look at the board stave from the butt end. = is plain sawn or flat sawn. || is edge grained or quarter sawn. // is rift sawn or bias grained. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

hunterman

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 05:16:48 pm »
clear as mud. yep  ;D

Looked at the diagrams again. now i really do feel stupid   ;D
     thanks for the help snedeker, jawge.

-cordell

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 06:03:41 pm »
Uhm! Arnt there only 3 books in the bible series so far? If not I will have to start saving up for the rest!

David T ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 07:33:59 pm »
David #4 is in the works.  He is not talking about Vol 7 but Vol 2 ;) Hunter I am constantly amazing myself with my denisty ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 09:10:37 pm »
And ya know, soon there will be a Volume IV! Hurray, I can hardly wait.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 09:17:26 pm »
All those terms just refer to the way the growth rings are oriented in the wood. A conventional stave is split from a log, unsawed, and the back follows one growth ring. An uncrowned stave has the crown (roundness) flattened off the back, sometimes done to small diameter staves to remove excess crown or to make it easier to back a stave with something like bamboo or a slat of hickory. Plain-sawn lumber has the rings oriented like they would be in a split stave, edge-grained boards are sawed at a 90 degree angle to the rings, and bias-sawn boards have the rings running at a diagonal angle.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 09:22:42 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 09:38:20 pm »
OOOOHHHHH!!!! The PICTURES!!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline snedeker

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 03:13:34 pm »
Wudaya mean clear as mud.  I thought my explanation was pretty concise.  The pics are a great touch though.