Author Topic: Bow From Terrible Hawthorn  (Read 4309 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Bow From Terrible Hawthorn
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 10:56:38 pm »
What would this kid do with a really fine, straight grained piece of osage?

Zion, your willingness to take on virtually any piece of wood is only second to the results you acheive.  Lovely bow, AGAIN!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 01:53:45 am »
Thanks for the comments guys!

Thanks VM Bows. Idk what species, it does seem to be different than the stuff i tried closer to the Cascades tho. Seems denser, tougher, and much more gnarly and twisted. Splitting this stuff is pretty much impossible.

Thanks Markus! I think i got pretty lucky .  ;)

Thanks Pappy, hopefully i won't ruin it or turn it into firewood lol  ::)

Thanks Leskon! I'm really curious to see how this one shoots because of the twisted limbs. It seems like everytime i bend it the twist uncurls, so it feels really cool. Idk what that would do to the arrow flight tho.

Thanks Chuck, I know what ya mean about the finishing.... alotta times i just leave them plain as i shoot them in and then they stay like that.

Thanks Randman! Yeah i really do like this wood. Super tough! Well i might be able to rip some guys off with half-assed bows in the future lol  ;D

Thanks JW! I guess since i started with this kind of stuff since it grows around me i've learned how to cope with it pretty good. The good results i get are usually just the ones i really focus on, and all the others i rush just break!!  ;D I guess its a kind of natural selection.

Hopefully i'll get the bow finished up this weekend and get a chance to shoot it!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline bigbird583

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 11:29:07 am »
That is one crazy lookin bow man.  I love it.  Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

Bird