Author Topic: Got started on my first bow Now with pics  (Read 1522 times)

Offline bigbird583

Got started on my first bow Now with pics
« on: February 08, 2013, 11:52:19 pm »
     Hey all.  Well I finally got started on my first bow.  It's one of the stave's of white oak that Don Burchett generously gave me.  I got it debarked down to a thin layer of cambium (I was nervous the whole time so it took awhile) and layed out my bow.  I went with the dimensions on page 135 of TBB vol. 1.  I went with this because this stave has two small knots at one end, and with this lay out carrying the width out so far, it will go past one of the knots.   The second knot is about 6" from the tip.  Both knots are on the same limb.  I started reducing it down to let it dry out some and I left the limb wider around the second knot.   This thing already looks bad a$$, and I know that if I don't mess it up it will be a cool looking bow with those knots.  At least it would be if most of you got ahold of it.
     Now for the questions.  First of all, what is the best way to remove the rest of the cambium?  It is a winter cut stave so it's on there pretty good.  I was thinking of trying to steam it for awhile and see what happens, but would like to hear from you guys and see if there's good way to get it off.
     Next, where can I find some info on dealing with the knots.  I remember seeing something about it but I can't find were it was I was looking.  I did remember to leave an "island" around the knots and I haven't really touched them much.  And maybe I should just set this stave aside for awhile and get some hands on first.  I do have enough of this oak for a couple more bows (thanks again Don).
     And is the second knot too close to the tip?  I'm already attached to this bow and haven't even done anything yet.  Not sure how I'll take my first bow breaking. ;)  I left the tips real wide in case I need to do something different.  What do you all think? 
     I'm working on getting you some pics but none of our cameras survived the move.  Sorry, I'm sure it would help.
     Any input you guys have would be great.

Bird     
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:10:03 am by bigbird583 »

Offline Keenan

Re: Got started on my first bow
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:09:02 am »
Bird, glad to hear your on the start of your first bow. It is exciting and can be allot to absorb all at once, but it sounds like you have done some homework and are taking the right steps to help succeed. For the Cambium removal a cabnet scarpers work just fine or if you have access to bandsaw blades that are about 1 1/4- 1 1/2" wide you can make your own scrapers. even a knife on edge can usually scrape off the cambium.
 It's hard to say on the knots and layout without pictures. If you can borrow and get some pic up we could help a bunch more.Islands around the knot is generally a good practice but it depends on the wood and palcement as to much can stress the area ahead or behind the knot if it is to much.
 Character staves will teach you more while working then straight and claen but for your first you may want a straight clean stave. Then takle that one later

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 01:17:07 am »
   Steve,
                 Go at it and if something happens I got more where that one came from. Glad to see you tackling those staves. Good luck and get some pics when you can. I can't wait to see them.
Maybe we can get together again soon and compare these sister staves/bows. 
                                                            Don
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:21:45 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bigbird583

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:28:43 am »
Well, here's the pics of my bow.  Finally.  Let me know what you all think of the knots.  The one closest to the handle I'm not to worried about, but the one on top, you can see the knot on the belly side of the bow. (a dark spot about 1/2" long)  The knot is almost 7" from the tip and the dimension's for the bow are 1 1/16" wide, at the knot.  Do you think I'll need to leave it wider around the knot?  Will the extra weight that close to the tip affect the cast too much?  What do you guys think?

The other question I have is, what is the best way to deal with the prop twist it has?  I was thinking of clamping it into a form.  Will that take the twist out of it?

And what do you think about the handle?  I read all the time that I should start with a bendy handle bow but I just keep leaning the other way.  I don't really know why but I have been.  What would be the best option for this bow design?

Tell me what you all think?  All input will be appreciated.

Bird

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:55:27 am »
Holy cow you got alot of soda!  ;D
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline bigbird583

Re: Got started on my first bow Now with pics
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 11:19:02 am »
LOL, That's funny Jake.  We give my folks crap all the time. (I had to go over to my parents for pics)  That stack is about half the size as usual and you can't even see the other stack of Diet Coke.  Hmm, just had an idea for a commercial.  That bow shooting at shaken up cans of Coke.  That would have to be fun.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 12:42:57 pm »
This stave looks like it's going to be a challenging build with the twist and the bend and the knots.  :-\
Maybe set it aside for later and get a straight one. Or be brave and tackle it. If so, get some advice now and then.
But most important: have fun!
Don't shoot!

Offline bigbird583

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 01:45:17 am »
Yea, Keenan and Jodocus you are probably right about waiting on this one.  I really like how it looks and I think it'll make a cool bow.  I need to let it sit and dry for awhile anyways.  But I would like to hear those opinions on how I should approach this one.  I need stuff to keep my head busy when I'm not doing something interesting, so please let me hear it.

Do you think I need to take some more off the edges before I put it on a form?  Or would it be better to let this one sit and dry as is?  It's gonna need some bending anyway with that twist, can it all be done at the same time?  Would this style bow be good with a little reflex in the tips?  And something else I haven't had time to search yet is.  How do you decide the shape of your forms?  Is there certain woods that you can get more out of?

I've got a few more staves to play with if it would quit raining here.  The roof leaks in my little work area.  We should be able to get a new roof on soon.  Hopefully this weekend.

Bird

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 10:19:30 am »
  Steve,
            Dude you have been working on this one and made some progress. Like everything you've done so far. Don't stop now, let it be a learning curve for ya. That knot at the top is ALMOST out far enough where the limb wouldn't bend. If your shortened a little that would be an option. I know its still wet but heating the handle and a slight bend later after it dries will really change the limb alignment. I say go for it...White Oak is tough.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;