Author Topic: Laurel for Blackhawk  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Laurel for Blackhawk
« on: February 10, 2013, 03:07:09 pm »
OK Chris, here is the first laurel stave for you. It is about 62" long and 2" in diameter and quite straight for Mt Laurel. I'll be cutting more as I find it. I'll get you 3 or 4 to play with.

Here are a few pics of laurel in the wild. You can see what I have to work with...

...and lots of interesting shapes. We always thought these two would make a great thrown...
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Squirrelslayer

Re: Laurel for Blackhawk
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 03:10:57 pm »
some crazy staves there i hope blackhawk does a build along with one of theese staves!
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 03:18:11 pm »
 >:D  >:D  >:D  ;D......awesome pat....thanks a billion brother  ;)

that looks like about as good as they come  ::)  tough to find em ...I know that's not an easy task....and im sure your having fun getting bashed by the stuff crawling around in it looking for bow staves   8) I see some rosebay rhodo in there too

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 03:26:16 pm »
We have Rhodo catawbiense(Catawba rhodo) and Rhodo minus growing wild here and I have planted hybrids and English roseum Rhodo.
  We have paths through lots of these laurel hells so it ain't too bad. I just cut the section i want and leave the rest of it entertwined with the rest of um.  ;D
  This one has been sealed and dated.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 03:30:28 pm »
I don't know what looks better, that stave or your deer! Man you sure shot that thing up! Good luck with that stave blackhawk.

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 03:55:25 pm »
I don't know what looks better, that stave or your deer! Man you sure shot that thing up! Good luck with that stave blackhawk.

it is a deer :o i thought it was some kind of stump, i really should wear some glasses >:D
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 09:03:41 pm »
I found a patch of this stuff a few years ago while hunting. some of them were more than 20' tall with pretty straight trunks. I will have to see if I can find them again.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 09:29:26 pm »
I must be sick,crazy,n twisted as that stave cus I'm paying the man in gold for that junk...lol :laugh:  ;D

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 10:14:16 pm »
I can't wait to see what you do with that. 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 11:10:47 pm »
Ya missed a few Pat :)

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 01:19:02 am »
Kip, if I took the pic from a different angle you would change your mind.  ;)
  I was looking for larger diameter but what I found grows with an oval cross section with the narrow section being the tension/compression sides. If you tried to use the flatter sides for a bow it would be one side of the limb compression and one side tension. It would probably twist like crazy.  We have some here that is 6" in diameter.