Author Topic: Help quick (palmwood)  (Read 3895 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Help quick (palmwood)
« on: October 17, 2007, 09:17:43 pm »
Am in  San Antonio right now at my home (La Quinta ;D). Anyway, they have this dead palm tree on the premesis that needs cuttin - it's dead. I was here in early summer and believe it was alive then - don't have a clue what type of Palm it is, is about eight inches diameter. Wondering if it's worth the trouble to go buy a saw and haul home??
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline armymedic.2

Re: Help quick (palmwood)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 09:57:31 pm »
haha, no help on bow wood, but i was at medic training at fort sam san antonio and i stayed at a la quinta on leave, i bet it was the same one, with the soda machine in the corner of the hotel outside, kinda sketchy lookin  ;)   i say cut it and worse case scenario you got camp fire wood!
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 10:02:53 pm »
Yeah, Keith is it? I'm at the one on military drive and hwy90 - yep scetchy. Ya don't want to leave anything laying around loose :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 10:34:09 pm »
Cowboy, If you can find out if its a coconut, date, or type of palm which sprouts a berry then you have a chance of getting a bow out of it. Other palms usually are to pithy and light in density to make a bow. If you can cut a cross section and it doesn't look like its all stringy then it may be good.

If its been dead for a while that may not be good either since palm being a grass tends to break down very fast...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 10:42:01 pm »
   But ..,If it's not worth a crap for bow wood .I saw some unbelievable knife handles made out of palm cut on an angle.After they were sealed in an epoxy finish,it brought out all the fibre dots.It looked cool and was light.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 12:17:11 pm »
OK, thanks guys. Think I'm going to be here one more day - will check it out. If I cut it, I'll post a pick of cross section.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 10:07:13 pm »
Whelp - scrap that idea for now. Had to rush away - San Antonio, Sonora, El Paso, then back home. 1800 miles in three days- shew. Brother lives on coast (La Porte) told me next time a big storm rolls through he'll get me a trailor load.