Author Topic: ?? is bamboo considered primitive (pre 1840's) as in ..  (Read 4103 times)

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
?? is bamboo considered primitive (pre 1840's) as in ..
« on: February 09, 2013, 10:21:58 pm »
used in the US for longbows and/or backing,,in that time period?..
heard that although it was certainly on earth, it was not in easily accessible in the US..anyone?? thanks!
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Traxx

Re: ?? is bamboo considered primitive (pre 1840's) as in ..
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 03:14:22 am »
Not that im aware of.Like you said,in other countries such as Japan,yes.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 12:58:09 pm »
Bamboo has been used in the US as long as man has occupied the continent. The Arundanerias(river cane, hill cane and switch cane) are bamboos and are indiginous to the Southeast US.
  Bamboo has been used all over the world for thousands of years, not only for archery but for just about all aspects of life is some parts of the world....so I would say that bamboo can be considered primitive.
 If you are relating it to "primitive archery" and what we consider primitive archery then yes, it is as primitive as red oak, hickory, Titebond glue or Dacron string material.   Some of our American archery forefathers like Howard Hill and others used bamboo in bows in the 1930 and '40 and maybe before. The bamboo used as bow backings had probably not been imported into the US before 1840 but I don't know that for a fact. Bamboo has been used in Asian bows, as backings, bellies and cores for thousands of years also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 04:15:48 pm »
found this..but I have no idea whose rules the NLRHF goes by...

In the first ever IBO Trad Worlds held just this month, there was a primitive class. Heretofore there was none, and it seems the class will only exist at future World Championships.

The rules were:
Primitive (PRM)
Bow – No man made material can be used on bow except string material and glue.
Arrow – Must be wood, bamboo or cane.
Other regulations same as current rules for LB:
A Primitive bow shot with fingers directly contacting the bowstring using a glove,
finger tab, or bare fingers, Archers may use up to two (2) nock locating
devices, but they must use the same nocking point and anchor point for each
shot and the index finger must contact the string in the same place for each
shot. The index finger must touch the nock of the arrow. Face and/or string
walking are not permitted.
No sighting device of any kind may be used. There shall be no markings on the bow or
bowstring (intentional or accidental) that could be construed as sighting marks. No type of
draw check or clicker may be used. Arrows shall be made of wood, bamboo or cane and shall be identical in length, weight, and color (allowances shall be made for normal wear). Arrows shall be shot off the hand or shelf of the riser. PRM archers will shoot from the Orange stake.
A Primitive Bow shot in PR shall conform to the following specifications:
1. The bowstring, when the bow is strung, may only contact the nocks of the bow.
2. The riser should be cut no closer than 1/8 inch to the outside of the centerline of the
bow, however, if a riser is cut less than 1/8 inch to the outside of the centerline of the
bow, a pad may be added so that the arrow rests on a surface no closer than 1/8 inch
outside the centerline of bow.
3. No stabilizers, counterbalances, or weights of any kind may be attached or built into
the bow; except a bow quiver clearly designed to hold arrows.

..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 05:58:37 pm »
All the competitions I've been to have basically the same rules. I've been to some shoots with an ABO class meaning only natural materials, no exceptions; glues, strings, nocks, etc.
  What we call "primitive" these days is far from primitive. I even doubt we could make primitive stuff because we have to much education and modern thinking to become primitive. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 08:43:21 pm »
yup! seems we've outsmarted ourselves! 

thanks for the help!
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 10:42:05 pm »
Not sure if I could meet the rule on arrow weight
Why aren't recurves primitive?
I like free stuff.

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 09:15:01 am »
recurves are legal...seems any bow made without man made materials (cept glue an string) is legal..I don't think there's a weight for arrows...jus "Arrow – Must be wood, bamboo or cane."
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 09:31:45 am »
We held the 2nd/3rd/4th IBO trad World at Twin Oaks and I was very deeply involved in the rules and what you have there was correct for the first  shoots,they will change this year in Cloverdale, NO composit bows will be allowed in the Primitive/selfbow class,not sure where they will put them but not in the primitive/selfbow class. Not saying boo isn't primitive,like Pat said ,been around forever ,but for competition purpose it is a different game and they may be primitive but not a selfbow so the rule has been changed. :) Not sure if they will have a separate class for composit bows or not. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 12:06:32 pm »
hate to be stupid here,,and/or pain in butt,,,but,,Pappy could you explain that a lil more  like what is considered a "composite bow"? is that bamboo backed? or any laminated? or?  sorry but if I'm going to get another bow want to make sure it'll be useable..course by now so confused ready to give up...maybe jus get an ole hickory an settle for that.. looking all over an well I know building a bow is much work..an art involved..some bows $600+ are hard to justify...especially if they break,,...sad too seem some really good lookin very effective bows,,but,,  scart!  thanks for your time! RC
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 03:31:54 pm »
I googled it..did not help..far as I can figure, as defined,  any 2 pieces of wood stuck together are composite,,,as are wood sinew an cowhorn.. i tried..
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 05:39:30 pm »
Did i misunderstand the original inquiry by the OP,or did the subject get a little sidetracked?
I was under the impression,that the question was,if Bamboo was used in Bow manufacture and backing,prior to 1840's in the US.
Was it availiable and used for other things,such as arrows,blowguns,,,absolutely!

But for bow manufacture,im not aware of it being used,in the US,in that time frame,for that purpose.

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 06:38:27 pm »
Right Traxx that was the original post..most times if it wasn't used,,in US, pre 1840 you can't use it now,,but seems many do..then it went on to what is, or is not, now acceptable,,,once glue was accepted in.. seems laminate would follow,.now, composites.I have no idea how they define that..or will define..
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 09:49:00 pm »
I think,it is not accepted in a pre 1840's reinactment type event,but at most archery shoots,it is accepted in the primitive class.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 10:10:48 pm »
I've run a few archery courses at Pre-1840 era Rendezvous.  I absolutely disqualify anyone carrying fiberglass unless they are kids.  If an adult is carrying a modern primitive (how's that for brain bending terminology) I ask them to document that style of bow being made by any tribal entity in the Western Hemisphere.  If it is a documentable North American style bow it's good to go.  If not, they shoot with a handicap. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.