Author Topic: Adding backing to a tillered bow?  (Read 1101 times)

Offline KShip85

Adding backing to a tillered bow?
« on: February 07, 2013, 12:49:39 am »
I'm looking at adding backing to an already tillered maple backed ERC molle to up the weight.  I was thinking of using hickory or white oak.  I have some I can quarter saw or I also could get a narrow high crown piece of white oak that's a single growth ring on the back.  Which one would be better?  I've heard both white oak and hickory are pretty tough stuff.  Also what kind of deminsions should I be going for?  The bow I'm backing is a Molly 2" at fades tapering to 1 3/4" at the lever fade.  Right now I'm thinking 1/8" thick and 1 1/2" wide.  Sound doable?

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

akswift

Re: Adding backing to a tillered bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 02:37:01 am »
 how much weight are you are trying to add?

Offline KShip85

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 09:19:45 am »
I'd like to add 20 lbs or so, I know that might be asking a lot.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:23:00 am »
Adding a backing of 1/8" will likely double or triple the drawweight. It could as well overpower the belly ERC laminate. It depends on how much you want to increase the drawweight, but I don't like the idea of adding a second backing onto an otherwise decent bow. Shortening the bow might be better if you want only a few extra pounds. Removing the current backing and replacing it by a new backing that is 1/16" thicker might be better if you want to increase the drawweight by 10-20 pounds or so.
But you might just consider starting another bow and call this one underweight...
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286